Author Topic: PreenFM mk2 : Continuing the discussion from the Mutable Instruments forum  (Read 49956 times)

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM mk2 : Continuing the discussion from the Mutable Instruments forum
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »
I agree, very nice. That is not too much more complicated than the Shruthi programmer. It really depends on whether or not Xavier can include a spot to hook it all into.

Thanks for taking a run at this Funkyfli. In my future I see a Preenfm and an Ambika in one custom box controlled from a single keyboard.  Wow, what a synth!

Randy
1974-ish Rhodes Stage 88, Kurzweil K2600XS, urzweil K2500R, Roland A90EX, Roland A37, Korg Microstation, Korg MicroKorg, Alesis SR16, Shruthi SMR4 MK1, Shruthi 4PM, Shruthi XT SMR4 MK 2, PreenFM, iPad 2 + Alesis IO Dock

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
Thanks  :)  But I had a rethink.   8) The big problem with getting a useful hardware programmer for an FM synth is knowing the flow of operators.  So, I had an idea and this is what I want... 74 knobs and 8 buttons!  And red LED arrows that light up to point the way  ;D

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:47 AM »
I'm thinking a compromise may be in order.

Randy
1974-ish Rhodes Stage 88, Kurzweil K2600XS, urzweil K2500R, Roland A90EX, Roland A37, Korg Microstation, Korg MicroKorg, Alesis SR16, Shruthi SMR4 MK1, Shruthi 4PM, Shruthi XT SMR4 MK 2, PreenFM, iPad 2 + Alesis IO Dock

Fitvideo

• Team member
  • 光陰矢の如し.
    • View Profile
    • Fitvideo
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
Jellinghaus :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
Thanks  :)  But I had a rethink.   8) The big problem with getting a useful hardware programmer for an FM synth is knowing the flow of operators.  So, I had an idea and this is what I want... 74 knobs and 8 buttons!  And red LED arrows that light up to point the way  ;D

74 knobs....  :o
I think i prefer the other one.
This one would be great if the red flow arrow would light on and off depending on the current algo.
But that would start looking like a VST UI ;-)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
Just noticed that was what you already had in mind   ;)
"  And red LED arrows that light up to point the way "

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
I'm willing to compromise  ;D  Just keep the Operators and the Algorithm control... only 53 knobs!!!  I think I might be discovering WHY there is no good hardware FM editor.  :(  It would be cheaper to invest in a giant touchscreen.

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
Xavier, there's a thread on Muff's talking about FM synthesis, might be worth monitoring:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73562

Randy

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »
Xavier, there's a thread on Muff's talking about FM synthesis, might be worth monitoring:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73562
Randy

Thanks... might be a very interesting thread to follow.

Xavier

randy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »
In another interesting FM-related discussion, John Chowning is a member of Muff's and has taken part in this thread:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1018792#1018792

Someone asked him what his favourite FM algorithm was, and he posted a picture, kinda cool.  Not sure if everyone knows who John Chowning is but do a little bit of research, he is a genius.

On second thought, it might not really be him.  Stay tuned...

Randy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:38:14 PM by randy »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

Does seem to be the real John Chowning.
Too bad.... ;-)

Xavier

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
What FM editors need is two modes. The RAW edit mode where you have the full power of FM exposed and a more friendly interface where there is some sort of translation layer.

For the translation layer you would load a bass preset (for example) and then tweak it using parameters with more friendly terms, then the raw settings would get changed behind the scenes.

funkyfli

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:32 AM »
  I think the reason a good editor is hard to create is that each operator plays a significant role in the sound and a different role depending on the algorithm.  In the subtractive sense, an operator takes the part of an oscillator, a filter, an output amplifier, a wave shaper or an lfo and could also be only one of many.  To limit an editor to one operator at a time is like limiting an editor to only one of those parts at a time.
  I'm not sure you could improve the PreenFM editor much at all without adding a significant amount of knobs.  It's quite easy to use with a printout of the algorithms in hand.  Though, eight knobs might be a bit better than four.  ;D
  For a 'transition layer' you'd have to determine what operator played what part and was important based on the output.  Sounds like a significant amount of work.  :)

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
  For a 'transition layer' you'd have to determine what operator played what part and was important based on the output.  Sounds like a significant amount of work.  :)

True, but it is the one thing that keeps people on subtractive and makes them scared of FM.

It's too complex for ordinary people.

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
What I would do in terms of a translation layer or different editing interface is have starting points, string, lead, bass, organ and so on. Then have tonal parameters, harmonics etc.