Author Topic: Firmware: PreenFM2 Bug report  (Read 14885 times)

Altitude

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware: PreenFM2 Bug report
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
Woot!  Can you (in detail if you dont mind) explain exactly what you did to get this to work correctly?  I assume whatever the issue was here is the same issue on the MBsid (it runs in 4 bit as well) and hopefully this could solve that age old problem

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
Cool  :D

All the details of my modification are here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenFM2/commit/0ae07955dd0b4c26a654bea0a516b8ff36dd854b#diff-492c27123dd31b335dacdc57a166f56d

There were 2 problems :

1 . I used the LiquidCrystal code from the PreenFM1 that i modified a long time ago for 8 bits. So the init sequence was all wrong for 4 bits. Was my fault.

2.  With the correct init sequence, i could see something on the display but it was all corrupted...
The guilty command was the LiquidCrystal createChar() function that create custom chars.
It does not work with this OLED screen and put the display in a broken state.
I tried several modifications and finally found that the address has to be specified for each write.
As this modification also works with other Display it's now part of the code.

Working LiquidCrystal createChar function :
Code: [Select]
void LiquidCrystal::createChar(unsigned char location, unsigned char charmap[]) {
location &= 0x7; // we only have 8 locations 0-7
for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
command(LCD_SETCGRAMADDR | (location << 3) | i);
write(charmap[i]);
}
}

Xavier
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:26:07 PM by Xavier »

martindunne

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
hi xavier just uploaded new firmware k but cannot see combo files preen 1 files working fine

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
cannot see combo files

Aouch... sorry, i know what's happening. Don't worry, you combo are still there they just don't show up.
Will upload a new firmware tonight.

Thanks a lot for the feedback,

Xavier

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »

0.9l ready.
Thanks again for the quick notice.

Xavier

martindunne

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
hello gain, would it be possible to allow the sequencer to trigger notes on the preen like a drum machine.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
hello gain, would it be possible to allow the sequencer to trigger notes on the preen like a drum machine.

This is a good idea... I don't know how to do that properly right now, but I really keep this in mind.
Thanks,

Xavier

martindunne

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
hi maybe you could have note as a destination in the matrix so source can be sequence.?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
hi maybe you could have note as a destination in the matrix so source can be sequence.?

The Matrix is probably not the best way to do that as the sequencer values are "gated" and "filtered" when arriving in the destination to prevent audio clip in many case.
A kind of arpegiator as an aditional row in the engine where sequencers would be selectable as velocity and notes...

Don't hold you breath, not even sure i'll add this and it would take some time. But i agree it would be cool ;-)

Xavier

martindunne

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
hi think i found a bug. when i have all 4 instruments loaded and playing a midi file from pc, if i alter IM in one instrument it changes others instruments IM too? hope that makes sense. also when i chain a shruthi from midi out in preen and play the same midi file from pc the shruthi loses sync over time.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
hi think i found a bug. when i have all 4 instruments loaded and playing a midi file from pc, if i alter IM in one instrument it changes others instruments IM too? hope that makes sense. also when i chain a shruthi from midi out in preen and play the same midi file from pc the shruthi loses sync over time.

Hi Martin,

If you don't play midi file at the same time, the IM works correctly ?
Could be a midi loop between the preenFM and your sequencer with one PreenFM2 instrument listening on ALL midi channel or something like this.
Try to set "send" to OFF in the PreenFM setting. And let me know if it fixes the problem.
I would need to have more details about your PreenFM and sequencer midi in and out configuration.

Regarding the chaining and sync problem i'll give a try.

Thanks,

Xavier

shwanton

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
The newhaven OLED has all sorts of issues as well.  It only displays something when the menu button is pressed (nothing on start up) and then instead of increment values, it scrolls everything left to right.  Everything is misaligned also and it made all sorts of noise (the display actually made noise) at the 34 setting.  If it's any help, I used the same display with the Preen 1 without issues

I'm having this same issue where the OLED screen will occasionally scroll from left to right. The screen will occasionally glitch as well but this might just be what the OLED does. It only happens after about 5 minutes of use and is very intermittent.

I've uploaded a video of this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbAxpmNzdM

I bout this Kit: http://vandaal-electronics.com/product/preenfm-kit/
Current Firmware: 2.03o

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
That's happens when the OLED receives corrupted commands from the preenF405.
Please read the last message of this thread i just posted :
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69163.0

Xavier