Author Topic: Built!  (Read 9053 times)

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
Built!
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
Picked up from the post office this morning, a few hours later and Im done...

Beauty, I knew those old elektron knobs would come in handy on something!

Anyway, I think I have an issue with one of my outputs- from what I can tell only one of them is working. I'll have a proper poke around in a bit but if anyone has any ideas Im all ears- plan is to test again and start by checking the soldering on the output. Also is it normal that the encoder clicks represent two turns? To make a fine change I have to go really slow to avoid skipping on another value.*FIXED*
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:30:53 PM by tIB »

pld

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Built! (but with only one output working :/)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Also is it normal that the encoder clicks represent two turns? To make a fine change I have to go really slow to avoid skipping on another value.
Is that with the encoders from the kit?
If not, there's a menu setting to switch between 12/24 steps which could help...

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
Yeah they were from the kit- Ill have a look into that setting when testing later, thanks!

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
Both issues sorted- encoder resolution thing solved that problem and found a joint I missed... hurrah indeed!

pld

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Great!

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Built!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
And well, I'm very impressed indeed! Had a bit of fiddling finding the sweet spot on the volume- was getting a bit of distortion into the signal at max, I assume this is normal? Anyway, after that I had a great time- interface is uncluttered and straightforward, the dx7 patch loading is excellent, sound is very nice indeed- Im extremely pleased with it, ta very much for putting this together!

Now for the inevitable questions/request:

- polyphony is affected by the number of operators used? What is the maximum polyphony for each voice in each config? ie if I had a 6 op thing going on each instrument am I right in thinking the maximum is 48 ops, so 2 voices per channel?

- filters- I like what you have done there, but any chance of adding a bandpass? I do love me some bandpass...

- mixing- how do I set the overall level of each instrument? (I'll RTFM and delete that one if I find an answer!)

pld

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Had a bit of fiddling finding the sweet spot on the volume- was getting a bit of distortion into the signal at max
I know the volume pot for the first kits is slightly wonky, but I thought the new revision was better. Xavier will know...

- polyphony is affected by the number of operators used? What is the maximum polyphony for each voice in each config? ie if I had a 6 op thing going on each instrument am I right in thinking the maximum is 48 ops, so 2 voices per channel?
Right, 48 operators total, so 48/6/4=2. If you use fewer instruments (number of voices = 0) you should be able to use more voices in the others.

- filters- I like what you have done there, but any chance of adding a bandpass? I do love me some bandpass...
Um, maybe :)

- mixing- how do I set the overall level of each instrument? (I'll RTFM and delete that one if I find an answer!)
Heh, there's a gain setting on the filter page :P As you might have noticed, the level is dependent on the number of voices too.

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
Thanks very much for the input! The volume distortion was my end rather than the preen's I think- forgot I had something on the mixer inserts!  :)

I wonder if a nice shortcut/additional page would be a level control page. I guess I could set one up on performance mode but wonder if an instrument levels page would be more practical? Of course, 'just' a bandpass filter would be plenty... FM + bandpass = made for one another!

DMM

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
My PreenFM is also ready ;)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedbacks on this page  :D
And thanks Patrick for your help...

Thanks very much for the input! The volume distortion was my end rather than the preen's I think- forgot I had something on the mixer inserts!  :)

I wonder if a nice shortcut/additional page would be a level control page. I guess I could set one up on performance mode but wonder if an instrument levels page would be more practical? Of course, 'just' a bandpass filter would be plenty... FM + bandpass = made for one another!

Glad to see the distortion was outside the preenfm2.
Not easy to add a level page of the 4 instruments that should be saved with the combo.  :-\
And I agree, a bandpass would really be a plus.

tIB

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
In hindsight setting the levels on the filter page is no biggie at all- just scroll through with the ins button or assign to the performance knobs if I want to do manual fading (which I pretty much never do with anything!).

Glad some others have an appetite for bandpass...  8)