Author Topic: Any Bitpop/blipblop/Chiptune sounds for PreenFM2?  (Read 5985 times)

synthboy

• Team member
    • View Profile
Any Bitpop/blipblop/Chiptune sounds for PreenFM2?
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:27:28 AM »
I really want to have some "8-bits videogame" sounding patches or banks for my PreenFM2.
Is there any DX7 banks with that kind of patches?
Or better - some programmed for Preen..

6581punk

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: Any Bitpop/blipblop/Chiptune sounds for PreenFM2?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
Subtractive synths are more suited to this. Preen would be more suited to the Megadrive/Genesis era.

What you really want is a square or tri wave since that's what most of the cheap soundchips used. Obviously the C64 was different (and POKEY to an extent).

Preen has some different waves, so it may be possible to do simple patches which are on/off (many machines didn't have envelopes or only one per chip).

Not saying you can't do it on an FM synth, but it's like using a flamethrower to light a candle :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:34:01 PM by 6581punk »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »

No cheaptunes bank... So many things to do.
But that would be great to have one.

For old school FM sound, use algo 1 or 2 (with 3 operators).
As 6581 suggested, on/off enveloppe, at least on the modulator operator (2 & 3 for algo 1).
Yes, square and triange could sound like what you're after on carriage operator (op 1 for algo 1).
Then try some low IM value.
Setting operator 2 or 3 with noise waveform and very short enveloppe could also produce interesting attack.

Let use know what you find  ;)

synthboy

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. Well "megadrive", soundblaster16 sounds should fit  in what I'm looking for too ;)
My sound programming skills are quite bad but I'll try..