PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

Finally Got Around To

<< < (2/2)

widdly:
I think that part of the difference  in sound across the keyboard is the lack of level scaling in the PreenFM.

DX7 has level scaling settings that change  the volume of the oscillators depending on which key is playing.  It is very useful in FM patches to get good modulation in bass notes without the shrill mess in the high notes.  At extreme depths you can use level scaling to split the keyboard so you have say a bass sound below C4 and a piano above.

You can partially simulate key scaling on the PreenFM2 by routing key number to the IM and operator volumes in the modulation matrix.

Since the scaling only occurs at note-on and is just a scalar of the oscillator volume, I imagine the PreenFM2 cpu could handle DX7 level scaling easily.  I suppose the difficulty would be squeezing the parameters into the menus.  The level scaling on the Dx7 has two curve settings (+lin,+exp,-lin,-exp), a breakpoint and two depth settings for each oscillator. 

One way of adding this feature would be to implement a few level scaling functions as modulation sources in the modulations page.  Then you could use these to modulate the volume, fm index or any other destination.

toneburst:
@Xaxier
Interesting, thanks for the info. I will treat the imported DX patches as starting points. Many of them sound good in their own right (though there's a limit to the number of minor variations on the piano/clavinet/harpsichord I can listen to ;) ).

@widdly Interesting... that explains all the DX-7 presets with 'split' in the name...
+1 for a scaling functions in the mod matrix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version