Author Topic: Message of thanks! (repost from facebook at the request of Xavier)  (Read 4690 times)

eonratslear500

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just finished making my preenfm2 with the metal case and it works!! I want to thank you for inventing this wonderful, magical little box. I'm already get some nice sounds out of this little monster!

This was my first kit and soldering experience and I'm amazed it all worked out. I followed the pictures you provided on the website and there were only a few areas I had trouble with. The first was the jump 1, jump 2, jump 3 and ground explanation. When I finished the box I had put the cap on the 5v ground and it didn't turn on when I connect the USB. Also the USB cable started getting very hot! I unplugged in for fear it would short something out. I took all the caps off and methodically restarted it putting the caps on the Jumps one by one (e.g Jump 1, then Jump 2...) It finally it sprang to life and I cheered! I literally yelled, "IT WORKS, IT WORKS!! haha

So I think some clarification with the caps and maybe a picture of what jumps should look like would be helpful to others.
Also, my kit didn't come with the black 3mm spacers you show in the picture to support the OLED ("use the  5mm spacers (or 8 mm (5+3) if you have the metal case) between the LCD and the PCB"
I bought some spacers and cut them to 8mm but it was too tall for the case so ended up just using the white 5mm spacers without the 3mm spacers and it worked fine. Also I used the SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 8GB USB Flash Drive. It's tiny and fit really well.

Overall I'm so happy with the whole experience and I'm grateful for the pictures you provide. It was fun and felt like building a Lego kit! I now have the fever and want to build more kits! Thank you so much! Sincerely, Aaron

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Message of thanks! (repost from facebook at the request of Xavier)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks this adds life to this forum and thanks for the nice words  :)
And it's also easier to follow discussion here.

What you did is shortcuting GND with 5V ?
These are 2 pins that allow you to get 5V and GND easily from the PCB but should NEVER be directly linked.
I'll add a message saying that on the doc.

For the JMP1-3, i can add anything that seems to be missing but could you double check the doc and let me know what's not clear.. Search for Jmp here:
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/build-it/the-pcb-r5/

In the small screw bags for the metal case what you have are 2 * 8mm spacers. "5+3" refers to the previous version.
Isn't your OLED paralele to the case ?
If not i can ship you 2 spacers, that will be worth it.

Xavier
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:26:19 PM by Xavier »

eonratslear500

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:16:36 AM »
I didn't know what to do with the caps that go on the jumps. I guessed and experimented to figure out where they should go.
The spacers you provided worked out fine. I was confused by the close up picture, though, because there is a black spacer under the white spacer. I was looking in the bag for the black spacers that are not needed. The OLED display seated fine after I just put in the white spacers. All the buttons fit so nice and flush with the metal case I was really amazed and impressed. It felt like such an accomplishment for my first attempt! Thanks again. If you're reading this and on the fence about buying and building a PreenFM2 kit, take the plunge! If I can do it, anybody can do it.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
All the buttons fit so nice and flush with the metal case I was really amazed and impressed.
It felt like such an accomplishment for my first attempt! Thanks again. If you're reading this and on the fence about buying and building a PreenFM2 kit, take the plunge! If I can do it, anybody can do it.

Thanks a lot for the free add :)
I don't regret having asking you to post here  ;)

And of course, don't hesitate to use the forum to ask any questions or discuss any sound design.