PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

pfm2 : 2.21

<< < (2/33) > >>

SirPrimalform:

--- Quote from: Xavier on August 12, 2015, 09:34:51 PM ---(I think i'll multiply values by ten so that we can have rapid growing effect when playing upper notes without using maximum matrix multiplier.)

--- End quote ---

I agree with this, I found myself using the full range of the matrix and it still not being enough. That's assuming you're just planning on increasing it, if you already increased it then I say it wasn't enough!

Hmm, it seems like I'm not understanding the internal logic of the options quite right. I expected something like the breakpoint defining '0' and notes above it generating a positive output and notes below generating negative (except of course when it's set to flat).

Flat 64 Lin with a negative routing to IM* behaved as I would have expected, with notes below 64 being unaffected and notes above having their IM attenuated. But when I changed it to Lin 64 Lin, I found all the notes having their IM attenuated to some degree as if I had just moved the breakpoint all the way down. I would have expected something more like the notes below the breakpoint to have higher IM.

I guess I'm misunderstanding the thinking behind it. It seems like it always counts from 0 to 127* and the breakpoint just changes the point at which it changes angle or curve. Since there is no change when both are set to Lin, the breakpoint has no function. If it could be used to set the 0 point in that instance then it would function like a bias control and make it much easier to get and adjust modulation that would otherwise require a lot of fiddling of the original parameter to get right.

Say we're using this to scale IMs to get the bass end brighter and the top end softer (like a piano or something). The IM levels we have set are nice for the middle, with the break point moving the 0 we can easily set that to the right place. Without that, I'd have to increase the IMs to the right amount for the bass and then mess around with the note scaling to try and get it sounding right in the middle again.

I've never played one, but from what I understand the DX7 had both positive and negative linear and exponential settings. If there's room for the code that could be interesting, so you could have the modulation increase or decrease in both directions from the breakpoint.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope I've understood this correctly and that my suggestions aren't stupid for some reason that I've not noticed.
Thank you for adding this! I hope I don't seem ungrateful for making so many suggestions. I've already lost a few hours making interesting sounds (and revisiting ones I had been working on).

*or whatever form it actually outputs in, a float from 0 to 1?

Xavier:

Thanks all for your feedback and nice words  :)
And thanks for having pushed the Scala feature.
It was a very instersting development and i really like the idea that the preenfm2 can now play any scale.

kuzma_p, i'm not sure i understand you patch problem. Can you reproduce ?

SirPrimalform, i have to rework the "midi note scaling" so thanks for your remarks.
I wanted to have it coded for the beta but i haven't thought enough about it.
Having BrPonint set to 0 and then the curve positive or negative from there would be better.
I'll go for that. And FLAT, +LIN, + EXP, -LIN, -EXP for each part of the curv. Will be clearer.

SirPrimalform:

--- Quote from: Xavier on August 14, 2015, 10:08:42 PM ---SirPrimalform, i have to rework the "midi note scaling" so thanks for your remarks.
I wanted to have it coded for the beta but i haven't thought enough about it.
Having BrPonint set to 0 and then the curve positive or negative from there would be better.
I'll go for that. And FLAT, +LIN, + EXP, -LIN, -EXP for each part of the curv. Will be clearer.

--- End quote ---

It would make an already versatile feature even more powerful. I guess to replicate the original 'note' behaviour (up to 1.06), you'd set both halves to linear and then move the keybreak all the way down? I was meaning to ask about that actually, is there a technical reason the keybreak is limited to values between 5 and 122? Is it just that you didn't think there'd be much point in setting it lower or higher than that?

Xavier:
Keybreak will be between 0 and 127 in Beta2 that i will upload later today.
Compatibiliy value:

--- Code: ---Befo   Brk   After
"<ANY> 0    +Lin"

--- End code ---
If brk is 0 "before curve" is not used.

This feature will definitely be usefull when used with IM* to limit the aliasing/digital noise in the high notes easily.

Xavier:
Beta 2 uploaded...
See first message of this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version