Author Topic: MIDI Channels and sequencing PreenFM with external sequencer  (Read 5443 times)

quadutol

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just got my PreenFM and I love it!  8) I have question though.....

I have a Novation Circuit and I want to sequence the PreenFM with it. On the Circuit, Synth 1 is MIDI Channel 1 and Synth 2 is MIDI Channnel 2. For synth #1 on the Circuit I can play/sequence the PreenFM with no issues. But on Synth 2 of the Circuit (MIDI Channel 2 in this case) I hear nothing. Here is what I did and figured it would work but it didn't.

Load Save >Tools
>Set Crea Ren Scala
Midi Ch. 2: 2

I figured that would get the Preen to listen on Channel 2 of the Circuit but nothing happens. Any ideas?

lokki

• View Profile
Re: MIDI Channels and sequencing PreenFM with external sequencer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »
that should work yes.

1)are you sure you are sending something on channel 2? can you check with another synth/software?
2)do you have any sound loaded in the i2 slot on the preenfm? i think by default, there is nothing loaded there.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:39:37 PM »

There should be a default preset.
My guess is that the number of voice of instrument 2 (midi channel 2) is set to 0.

If not, do you see a '2' showing up on midi note on ?

quadutol

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:09:26 AM »

There should be a default preset.
My guess is that the number of voice of instrument 2 (midi channel 2) is set to 0.

If not, do you see a '2' showing up on midi note on ?

For the Circuit it states:

This is set up as per the key below.
Synth 1 = MIDI channel 1
Synth 2 = MIDI channel 2
Drums 1 to 4 = MIDI channel 10

FWIW, here is the link to the Circuit info: https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206857899-Using-Circuit-to-sequence-external-MIDI-instruments

From what I've gathered there is no way to change the channel on each instrument so I'm fairly certain Synth #2 on the Circuit is listening on MIDI Channel 2.

When I switch over to Synth 2 on the Circuit I see the number 2 flashing in the right top corner when I press a note and that happens regardless if I set it to Midi Ch. 2: 2 in the settings menu. I"m a beginner so I bet it's something simple.   :)

edit/update: I also just noticed if change the MIDI Channel on the PreenFM to MIDI 2 it still plays on MIDI Channel 1 of the Circuit, not sure if that is what's suppose to happen or not...figured I'd mentioned it. So, synth 1 on MIDI Channel one plays and sequences the PreenFM regardless of what MIDI channel it's on I assume.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:23:09 AM by quadutol »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:41:02 AM »
just one quick confirmation,

are you aware that the setting is twofold? the preenfm is 4 part multitimbral, so you set midich1 to a channel and midich2 to a channel (via the rightmost encoder).

the notes sent on channel 1 should still sound when midich2:2 is enabled, but they should only go to channel:1.

so to summarize you can set the preenfm2 to for example:

midich1:1
midich2:2
midich3:10
midich4:6

this would play your synth 1 on preenfmchannel1, synth 2 on preenfmchannel2 and drums 1 to 4 on preenfmchannel3 (which does not make much sense)

i hope this helps!

if you see the 2 flashing on the preenfm2 that means that channel two eceived a note and it indeed has to be either no preset loaded or voice number set to zero. try loading a (different) preset in voice 2 or adjust voice number

quadutol

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
lokki, thanks for the info on this. I will take that info and read the manual closely and experiment with PreenFM's settings more today. I am totally unfamilar with the PreenFM (and no, didn't realize it was 4-part timbral....lots to learn!).

Regardless, it looks like the issue with me was simply that I didn't load a sound into each slot (*like you mentioned to me up above*):

I1 [load preset] for synth #1 and slot I2 [load preset] for synth #2. Once I did that (I didn't even have to fool w/ MIDI settings...yay!) I'm rocking out now and making some music. :p

This synthesizer sounds GREAT, I am so happy I decided to get one. Will look into developing my own patches down the road.

Thanks everyone!