PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

any way to select timbres via midi? [yes in firmware 2.10]

(1/3) > >>

observer:
I'm using an external midi controller and sequencer to make music with the Pfm2.
Running each voice on it's own channel, I wish there was a way to quickly change which voice is being edited and see the patch name without having to click through on the unit. This way, I could have the keyboard tell the pfm2 to focus on the same patch that I'm playing when switching between them.

Is it possible that this feature exists and I'm missing it?

I like the idea of using a master controller for all my synths, with as little menu diving as possible, but there are always little hurdles like this getting in the way.

observer:
I guess I phrased the question badly.. whay I'm asking is whether there's a way to select which voice is showing on screen via midi message.

If not, any idea if this might be possible to implement?

Xavier:

--- Quote from: observer on May 16, 2019, 10:17:14 AM ---I guess I phrased the question badly.. whay I'm asking is whether there's a way to select which voice is showing on screen via midi message.

If not, any idea if this might be possible to implement?

--- End quote ---

No there is nothing to do that.
Maybe the easiest way would be to switch to the last instrument that was updated by midi.
Should be a modification here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/blob/master/src/hardware/FMDisplay.cpp?ts=4#L637
Would need to call newTimbre(timbre) in a else condition, and see what happen...  ;)
I just worry when several instruments are updated at the same time.

To have a dedicated CC to change current timbre, that should be implemented  in the midi decoder class:
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/blob/master/src/midi/MidiDecoder.cpp
But it would required a little code to propagate the new current timbre.

observer:
thanks for the reply!

Ok I see what you're saying. I'm not yet up to speed on coding, but I'm trying to learn.

I can imagine a problem with that idea:  I'm sequencing all four timbres simultaneously, usually with some cc automation. This would probably result in the screen just flitting between timbres with each channel's most recent cc event, no?

would it be possible to add a dedicated cc message for switching timbres? how intensive would it be to implement such a thing?

Xavier:

--- Quote from: observer on May 17, 2019, 02:36:06 PM ---I can imagine a problem with that idea:  I'm sequencing all four timbres simultaneously, usually with some cc automation. This would probably result in the screen just flitting between timbres with each channel's most recent cc event, no?

--- End quote ---

Yes, not very convenient.

--- Quote from: observer on May 17, 2019, 02:36:06 PM ---would it be possible to add a dedicated cc message for switching timbres? how intensive would it be to implement such a thing?

--- End quote ---

That's the second part of my previous reply  ;)
I think it would be easier to remember the 4 instruments  or to press the "Inst" button.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version