PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

Audio Output from SMD version

(1/4) > >>

ericd:
Hi, new forum member here.

First, the Preen FM2 is fantastic, thank you Xavier and everyone else who keeps developing new features.

However I think I made a mistake, I jumped in and bought a pre-built SMD version without being aware of the differences. I have linked a recording of a single sine wave, 1 voice, with no modulation and all other operators off. There is a noticeable 'phaser' sound especially as it fades out, that I don't think should be there with pure sine wave (other synths sine waves don't have this sound).

https://soundcloud.com/user-335915384/preen-output

I also tried splitting that sound file into separate mono tracks and it is audible on both sides.

Is this normal for the PreenFM2? Is this maybe a problem inherent in the SMD build and specifically the use of a single audio output jack? I don't think it is aliasing as the digital processing should be the same?

The general functioning of the unit in terms of MIDI control and parameter settings all seems to be good.

Am I just being overly sensitive about the sound?

Many thanks

solipsvs:
as far as i know the smd version is a branch made by a preenfm2 fan and xavier has nothing to do with it

ericd:
Oh that isn't great. How can someone be selling a product called 'PreenFM2' if it has nothing to do with the developer? I get that it's open source but it doesn't seem ethical.

I knew before I bought it was a SMD version  but didn't know that meant it wasn't even supported. 

As for my unit, I guess I'll squeeze what I can out of it, and save for a proper PreenFM2.

If someone could compare the audio output of a single sine wave from a proper PreenFM2 to the output in the soundcloud link above I would really appreciate it.

Thanks/

solipsvs:
it was made by an enthusiast.  there is a thread somewhere here so you could ask the maker.  where did you buy it?  i think its sorta unnecessary unless it costs less or shrinks the footprint or does something the through-hole doesnt do, even tho i was sorta fascinated when they announced it.  id love a preenfm2 wrist watch honestly!  with an onboard sequencer and a little speaker... and a space bar!

ericd:
Thank you. I found that thread, I will try posting there but it hasn't been active for 2 years.

I bought it through the forums at Elektronauts. Who knows, maybe it's just one faulty unit. I'd love to hear from any other SMD version owners whether they get the same problem with the sine wave output.

Sign me up for that wristwatch!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version