Author Topic: DC power adaptor- correct polarity..?  (Read 3146 times)

christianlukegates

• Team member
    • View Profile
DC power adaptor- correct polarity..?
« on: January 30, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
Hi

Purchased a 7.5-9V DC power adapter. In the instructions for that adapter it gives options for setting it up with either positive or negative polarity.. which is correct for using with my FM3? or should i just stick with the USB power?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DC power adaptor- correct polarity..?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
Hi

Purchased a 7.5-9V DC power adapter. In the instructions for that adapter it gives options for setting it up with either positive or negative polarity.. which is correct for using with my FM3? or should i just stick with the USB power?

Hi,

Go with 9V. (7.5v will turn on the preenfm but the DAC will receive less than 5V and willl provide less output voltage).
And more important choose Center positive.
It's now written clearly on the latest PCB revision.

Xavier

christianlukegates

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:14:16 PM »
there actually doesnt appear to be an option for centre, only positive or negative(...?) so i will leave it. thanks for replying  :)

vurt

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
there actually doesnt appear to be an option for centre, only positive or negative(...?) 

Of course there is.. I guess it's an universal dc adapter, just google "center positive" and you will see how the connecter should be positioned. it's either negative or positive..  adapter is always preferable imo. USB can create noise sometimes. 

edit, image:

so the arrow on the first connector part (which is connected to the cable) should point towards that marking on the attachable connector..
This is how it's done on all the universal DC adapters that i have at least, and i have quite a few..

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:59:36 PM by vurt »

christianlukegates

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
hi

thanks. yes its universal, so has a removable tip which can be fitted either one way or the other (negative or positive). so should i infer from centre positive that i should be setting it up in the positive alignment? the word 'centre' suggested to me that there was a third 'middle' option between positive and negative.. (im not very good with electronics in this way..!)

vurt

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 10:07:18 PM »
no, there's just these two, and yes like the image.