Author Topic: Found a cool trick for using PFM2 as a drum synth (with limitations!)  (Read 4776 times)

hitachii

• Team member
    • View Profile
Really cool to see how quickly the PFM2 can switch/load patches. Currently using this for percussive sounds to get the most out of the four timbres on the Preen while using an external sequencer. For instance, if you have a MIDI track open in Ableton, and you automate the program change to alternate between 'kick' and 'snare' (or any synth sound you want) on the same track it works very well, even at 300 bpm!

Two very crucial tradeoffs to consider if you're using this method tho:

1. Your voices will be cut short on every channel, even if you're only changing the patch on one of the channels. If you're planning on doing this, make sure that any sound you want will only last the length of the shortest point between patch changes. Best to stay clear of pads.
2. Make sure that your sounds are all dialed in before you start doing this. Any unsaved changes will be lost when it switches programs, and DO NOT TRY TO SAVE A PATCH WHILE THE SEQUENCE IS PLAYING. Not sure what happened exactly, but the patch saved in two separate locations in the same bank when I tried. Losing a patch is a small price to pay for the reward of experimentation though, so this method is still highly recommended.

Figured I'd share this in case anyone hadn't tried it before. Loving this little guy more every day :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Found a cool trick for using PFM2 as a drum synth (with limitations!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »

8)
Haha. I didn't know it was possible.
I assume you cannot have notes playing on  other instrument while you're doing that. That would stop the sound of active instruments.

prephylve1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
The way I've achieved this is to create a patch similar to the MS20 kick/snare patch. Basically you use velocity or key split to change parameters ie the lower register are kick/tom sounds and the upper register are snare/hh sounds. Super efficient and you could have poly drums on one track.

prephylve1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »
I created a quick patch with Kick, Snare, and Hi Hat all in one polyphonic patch. I used algorithm 8 to have two operators mixing them in and out based on where on the keyboard I was playing. So Op 5 & 6 are exclusively for HH. Op 1 & 2 are for kick. Op 1, 2, & 3 are for snare. The Note Scaling and Modulation Matrix makes it very easy to achieve this type of patch.

I've attached the sysex patch and a quick audio demo. Hope this helps :)