Author Topic: PreenFM3 Feedback  (Read 3431 times)

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
PreenFM3 Feedback
« on: September 07, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »
I'm new here and I have never owned a Preen. I have however long coveted one. I have a question re feedback. I understand that PreenFM did not permit operator feedback. This always made me hesitate getting a Preen. Now I have read that PreenFM3 permits phase feedback (have i got that right?).

1. Is this feature in any way similar in sonic results as what one would achieve with operator feedback?
2. Is this feature unique to the new PreenFM3 or is it available on both versions of Preen?

And specifically regarding the PreenFM3 ...

Is it possible with the 6 physical outputs to assign 2 to serve as master stereo outputs for all 6 operators whilst still sending individual operators out of the remaining 4 outputs? Or is it the case that as operators are sent to separate outputs they are removed from the assigned master? Hope this questions makes sense.

I should say whilst I'm here that this project, PreenFM is such an achievement - you should be commended!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PreenFM3 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:17 PM »

Hi,

I never really understood the buzz around feedback operators.
I think it's because it's the easiest param to understand in a FM algo  ;)

1. Well i think it's better than the DX7 one which only has 7 levels. But i prefer how feedback sounds on the N.I. FM8.
2. Only in the preenfm3.

No, all the carrier operators of a same algo go to a same stereo output.
The modulator operators does'nt have any output, they only modulate the carrier operators or other modulators.

Each instruments (timbre) can be assigned to a different output.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »
i am not sure, but i think the OP means if it is possible to route the six instruments to different outputs at the same time.

so for example having all six instruments routed to output 1 and 2 (stereo master out) while still outputting instruments 3-6 to outputs 3-6.

in essence he wishes for an instrument to have multiple output routing possibilities.

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
Thanks for your replies/response. I see that my wording was less clear than I intended. Lokki is correct, I am curious to know if FM3 has multiple output routing options.

This isn't a deal breaker type of question. I'm very keen to get a Preen but I have not yet decided if it will be a FM2 or FM3. I am currently wanting to visualise my workflow with this instrument in the context of my other gear. I'm kind of passed the stage of just buy stuff because it sounds amazing - it has to fit with my existing gear and I have to understand what the workflow will be for me.