Author Topic: curved envelope segments or parameter response curves  (Read 5131 times)

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
curved envelope segments or parameter response curves
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:48:08 AM »
i would love to curve my attack phase or my decay to further define my bass or effect sounds.  this is a game changer honestly.  to fine tune carrier/modulator relationship with custom curved envelopes gives so much mojo to the final. 

it might instead be cool to customize the response of an individual parameter instead? so just feed it a linear value and the parameter will respond based on an input curve since its just easier to manage linear envelopes and automation.. this will animate patches in amazing ways making many things possible and help to define the sound of preenfm3 in a crowd of similar products.

of course, custom envelopes or other modulators would allow modulation with a variety of flavors to take place simultaneously but is more intense computationally and more work to add i think.  but i dont know.

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: curved envelope segments or parameter response curves
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 02:37:14 AM »
this is actually the feature im most fond of and feel that would transform the sound of preenfm3 the most.

beyond more filter/distortion algorithms and more modulation possibilities of course.  but luckily it has multiple outputs!  im also trying to collect some pedals!  unfortunately you just cant modulate pedal parameters.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »
I'm not sure i understand.
Have more freedom about the enveloppes of the operators ?

Regarding the modulation i don't have any plan to add more, i think 3 LFO, 2 envs and 2 step seq per voice with more than 30 targets sound already flexible.

im also trying to collect some pedals!  unfortunately you just cant modulate pedal parameters.

What does the pedal send ? Midi control change ?

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:14:28 AM »
you dont understand?   ???

ok i hope im clear now?  you can imagine what linear input would do to a parameter through a response curve?

no plans?  that seems a tad bit defensive, as if what i suggested is absurd?  you have no intention to add more matrix destinations?  you mean unless someone else with a preferred point of view raises the question? is something im doing making this harder for you to understand?  please lets take care of that first. 

envelopes and lfos dont need to be the same ones youve been using since the 1980s.  response curves dont need to be mysterious.  they can offer the same or enhanced performance, depending of how good your breakfast was today.  they can animate sounds in unexpected ways.  oh but they are a bit new-fangled im afraid.

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
the pedal is a guitar distortion pedal.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
I will try to write this down calmly, and I have no affiliation with Xavier, or preenfm.

Your questions and answers come across rudely and very pushy, more often then not. This may be because English is not your first language? Xavier always tries to answer questions to his best...(if there is a misunderstanding, it will be cleared up eventually)

If a filter parameter takes too much time to be computed at modulation rate, and clicks are produced, there is not much point in asking once again when it will be implemented. different response curves for attack and decay would be nice, i agree, and your graphics make it very clear. Again, no need to sound insulting, which maybe you did not intend.

Anyways, sorry for the rant... Take care and have a nice day.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
Also keep in mind this is a "one man show" developed by Xavier in his spare time, no company...

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »
@solipsvs if you look at the code, for example, the decay segment is exponential.
The representations in the editor are not the actual shape of the slope of each segment.

However, it would be cool to have different response curves (linear, expo, and/or log) for each segment.

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »
no matter what i do or say im rude. so be it!  i dont care if you think so, what this thing needs is what it needs, no matter who says it or how they say it.

blah blah one man show for fuck sake spare me and just go back to your safe corner where everything is understood and nobody needs any features to make it do something cool.  making it cool isnt the point after all?  its…. i havent figured it out honestly.  what is the point of this whole line of synthesizers?  and is there extra cpu or not?  how close to the line are we with preenfm3 now?  do we need to tiptoe around the subject?.

i am a paying customer many times over now, ive had a preenfm for many years, i know it pretty well, and i know which direction it could go.  should i just stfu?  am i wasting my time telling you several ways in which it needs improvement?  how gentle do you guys needs me to be before you comprehend what i type?  before you call me a whiny bitch?  boy i love this synth but i sure dont love this game of tippy toe comprehension.  can you just grow some skin please?

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 09:14:42 PM »
lets get something straight, i choose PreenFM3 and i have voted with my money, my time and my interest.  i would like to use it further the way i use my gear and ill make a comment in promotion of ideas i have.  if that upsets you, well, its not my fault.  i dont see anyone else speaking up.  why not?  sometimes those extra functions make something easy to work with which is what does it for the lasting reputation of a favorite synth.  synths that are intuitive and meet the user most of the way just speak for themselves and there are too many that just dont go the distance.

i wouldnt say anything if i didnt care as the saying goes

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 11:30:30 PM »
Yes solipsvs, you're rough (rude ?). And yes i do care.
That decrease the fun i can have developing the preenfm during my free time.
And i don't care about the number of preenfm sold. It's really OK as it is.

That being said, I don't think this feature is a "game changer".
Sounds like a small addition to me.
As you can see in the code :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/blob/master/firmware/Src/synth/Env.h#L73
Some part of the envelopes are already curved. (Decay, sustain, release are not linear).
I was surprised when i did that how small the impact was. (The preenfm1 was all linear)

If you modulate the modulation indices in the matrix, that has the same impact as modifying the envelope of the above operator.
And modulations indices are available independantly as targets in the matrix .
Possibilities are high.

If you really need something more flexible for the enveloppe, the firmware is open source. That's the point of the preenfm.
I would be happy to help implementing specific features for custom firmwares.
You can maintain your own development firmware and i will maintain mine.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:37:34 PM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 11:36:54 PM »
EDIT: x-posting with Xavier...

i don't need a thicker skin, or at least i don't think so.

also, i am not offended at all by your comments, it is just funny to read them and it seems to be a strange way to get where you want. but if it works for you...

you are right though, who am i to tell you that i think you are "offending" Xavier. he can surely speak for himself.

glad you like your preenfm3, i haven't used mine much lately but will again.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:38:25 PM by lokki »

solipsvs

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 03:19:26 AM »
you people tell me what my big crime is?  how was i offensive?  and then you can just fuck off.  is the complaint that i am ’often’ offensive?  so tell me what was offensive here and then you can piss off!  and shove your synth up your ass!  seriously i dont give a fuck about your feelings!  and i know you want to sell more, given the state of employment and inflation and politics so shove that up your ass too!  you dont understand me?. well understand that.  stay stuck in the past, i dont fucking care honestly. i dont need your piece of shit synth!

and im not surprised you dont get it.  you dont get much and im always stuck explaining shit to you.  so be old and lame, stuck in the 90s with your dx clone with half stepping features that belong in the last century!  turn on steve windwood and call it a day.

when was the last time you did any sound design?  never.  thats why its not important to you and why you dont see anything as a game changer.  any real game changer would be way too much for you, this is just a game changer with training wheels.  but you dont need it, and wont ever use it so the point is moot!  youll never get any closer to needing detailed feature on your noisemaker, because you never design anything of consequence and you wont begin anytime soon.

yall sure make the case for pasty nerd in basement with synth needs way to get back at the world who forced him down there in earlier life lol

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »
You don't event have the preenfm3, PCB is on its way to you.
When you receive it, please ship it back to me. I'll reimburse you of course.

Thread Locked.

UPDATE : preenfm3 + shipping totally refund to solipsvs although i don't have it back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:05:38 PM by Xavier »