Author Topic: preenfm3 SEQ feature wish [done in firmware 0.996]  (Read 2934 times)

Cluso

• Team member
    • View Profile
preenfm3 SEQ feature wish [done in firmware 0.996]
« on: January 22, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »
Hi Xavier,

I have a suggestion and wish for the step sequencer in the preenfm3.

Currently, it is not really designed to enter specific notes into the step sequencer without MIDI IN. However, it is possible to play notes by using the MENU+(1-6) keys. This way, one can also enter any of these 6 different notes of any length using knobs d and e into the step sequencer.

Since button 5 is not is use, it could be used to access the note value and velocity underneath the cursor. In the gray box, one could display the note value, and when pressing 5 and then using the encoders, one could both modify the note value and velocity. This would be really cool, because we could make complete sequences without any external gear. At least for me, this would be super useful.

I think this suggestion would work really well for monophonic sequences. Since the step sequences is polyphonic, one could think further of ways to implement that as well (maybe button 5 could open a sub-menu for the current step).

Cheers, Christopher
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:18:59 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 SEQ feature wish
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
[EDITED : Forgot MENU+(1-6) was already implemented /]

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll think about that  ;)
Xavier
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:37:16 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 SEQ feature wish
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 03:32:04 PM »
It was fun to do. And it's fun to use  :)

You now have the "Note" and "Velo" display in the sequencer.
Plus buttons that you can hold to modify them.

All notes under the cursor are impacted by the modification.
If the cursor is smaller than the note bellow, modifying any value will create a new note.

Let me know what you think
Firmware 0.995 attached bellow.

For those into code it's here : https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/commit/65d5f19858f9f8849c16e6e059d81039d5821951
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 06:53:58 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 SEQ feature wish [done in firmware 0.995 ]
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 11:50:46 AM »
I have a version with 'Note' creating a new Note if empty bellow the cursor.
Makes the creation of melody easier.
Will publish later today.

Cluso

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »
Hey man,
Thanks a lot for implementing this, it's awesome!

Yes, inserting a note as you suggest would be a bit easier. In principle, while holding the note-button (#2) pressed, all 6 encoders could do different things, such as note, velocity, chance (that would be nice, too!), shifting the active note on the timeline (left and right while maintaining note length). Then button #5 would remain free for whatever. Being able to shift notes would make it more flexible to place them across bars.

If it is no hassle, could you also allow the number of bars on the main SEQ page to be 3? Currently it is only 1,2,4.

I guess you can make the sequencer arbitrarily complex if you wanted, but this is already so cool, because now the preenfm is standalone. I find it also great for sound design, because you can type in a little tune and then create and tweak a patch while it's playing.

Glad you were also having fun with it. Please let me know if you are keen to explore further ideas...

cluso

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:22 PM »
Here is the version with note creation.

Allowing 3 in SEQ length is more difficult than it seems  ;)
Step sequencer counts from bar 1 to 4 and is design so that every seq starts on bar 1.

Cluso

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
Thanks Xavier, works like a charm.