Author Topic: Suggestions and Bug reports  (Read 9345 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Two suggestions, two bugs and a question
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2023, 10:22:40 PM »
Cool. Glad the copy&past is finally fixed.

"2". What is parameter lock ?

"3". if i understand, it can be done by setting the number of voices to "0" in the mixer. Not ideal but that's a workaround.

"Edit2"  : you can add LP, BP, HP after the noise to sculpt it.

"Edit 3" : just tried quickly  and it works as expected. New sound each time i press the "Rand" button. I noticed indices random sometimes new numbers does not have a big imact on the sound. But even Modulation alone give totally different results.

"Edit 4" : not easy to do as they are not at the same place in the processing flow.

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 12:40:45 PM »
sorry I completely missed your response. The second page just eats them sometimes...

Parameter lock is live recording of parameters into a sequencer. For example turning up and down an FX parameter gets recorded into the sequencer and the sequencer plays back that knob movement as if it was programmed in. It would allow for much more variation and possibilities.

If you are still not satisfied with this response, this is what google said: "Parameter locks" means that the step sequencer can record and play back the parameter values you input with knobs.

How can you use a BP, HP or LP filter for only one output or operator? You can only set them for everything, not for one thing specifically. You know that would be kinda neat too. Having the ability to set FX for only a select few operators, meaning you could modulate a carrier with a ping-pong delay or something, or in this case, only allow specific parts of noise into another waveform

Edit: I just noticed that this parameter lock thing would go hand-in-hand with more modulation destinations since it's basically that but plugged into a sequencer. Thinking about it, we already have something like that with the two sequencer modulators, but two is just not enough to control like four different changes at once

Edit 2: I sadly need to inform you that the crash is still occurring. I don't know what I tested, but what I tested was bullshit. It still crashes when playing a note after pasting anything into operator 1. Weirdly enough, the name of the binary is 999d but in the PFM it still sais 999b

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:58:55 PM by UltraBlack »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 09:42:32 AM »

Please try firmware 1.00.
Looks like my script that build the zip files missed up with the 0.999X version and put a wrong version in the zip.
Sorry.

Thanks for the explanation for parameter.

Yes that would be neat to have more noise choice, i agree. And per operator. But you can't ;)
You can still use a second instrument listening to the same midi channel. Use a simple Algo such as algo1. And you can have a noise independent from the first instrument that you can modulate.

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 12:02:41 PM »
The 1.0 Fix works now haha thank you!

Yes that would be neat to have more noise choice
You could add more waveforms like in the LFOs. E.g. Brown, Pink, etc. noise

Could the time of the Ping-Pong and delay be increased as well? I feel like the have way too fast decay. Sometimes a really long delay is desirable.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2023, 05:23:11 PM »
delaytime is limited by RAM. the delay is already downsampled to increase the delay time, so no it is unlikely that it can be prolonged much longer.

what was done on some fm synths in the past (80ies) was to add a midi delay fx.
a note that had been played would simply be triggered again after some time. a bit softer and with less overtones this made for a convincing delay fx

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2023, 06:54:19 PM »
midi echo is very cool on the midibox seq for example,
though i'm not sure how to implement this on the preen... maybe a special arp mode ?

There is also the modulator envelope loop trick, to mimick delayed notes !

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2023, 11:20:58 PM »
delaytime is limited by RAM. the delay is already downsampled to increase the delay time, so no it is unlikely that it can be prolonged much longer.
I'm not only talking about the length of the part that is being delayed but also about the amount of times that it's repeated and has it's volume lowered. Increasing the latter should definitely work together with the current hardware limitations.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 11:39:15 PM »
Sometimes, limits is what we need.
but if you want more, here is an experimental version which let you use the Out menu to chain output from timbre 1 to timbre 2,
so you can have a chain of short delays.
it works only for timbres 1 to 3 (for some unknown reason).
For me it is a be too much of weirditude to be used, as it break the patch paradigm.
but if you want to have a look at it, here it is !

the git branch for this is there :
https://github.com/pvig/preenfm3/tree/fxchain

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 10:57:04 PM »
Hm I can't get this to work entirely. As soon as I route a timbre into another one all of the routed timbre's output just vanishes...

Regarding the increased delay time: If it is what I think it is (a memory block with the audio data just continuously getting overwritten by a more silent copy) then you should be able to increase the delay time without any risks. I noticed, that if the delay block is shorter, it gets played back more often, so a pretty short delay "block" is pretty much not delaying enough times to be useful.
I would also prefer being able to control the time between delay playbacks and the volume drop myself, so I can actually use it properly.

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 01:05:31 AM »
@UltraBlack by more delay time, do you actually mean delay feedback? like the number of repeats?
and not the spacing in-between them (as is normally referred to as delay time).

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 08:40:39 AM »
yes he is talking about increased feedback

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2023, 11:26:22 AM »
@UltraBlack by more delay time, do you actually mean delay feedback? like the number of repeats?
and not the spacing in-between them (as is normally referred to as delay time).

I want to control this (shitty "drawing"):
<Segment width> ---- (Pause time) ---- <> ---- <> ---- <> ... (iterations and volume drop)

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2023, 04:17:15 PM »
those are normally (on almost every delay) one parameter, called feedback...
the higher the feedback, the more repetitions you get and hence the volume drops less fast per repetition..

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2023, 08:10:12 PM »
This one parameter is not enough though, considering the very limited memory available for effects. The maximum amount of repetitions is super tiny right now, with the feedback limited to 1.

And one feedback value still does not allow me to control the time between repetitions, at least not in a way that benefits the overall outcome.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 08:26:55 PM »
on a "normal" delay you have two parameters, delay length and feedback. you are right, that the delay length is limited on the preenfm3, this likely will not change. so you only need one other control for feedback, which controls both, number of repetitions and as a consequence volume drop. the two are directly related and it does not make sense to split them into two params. at least not on a regular delay. essentially you control the amount of delayed signal that you feed back into the delay. does this make sense? other controls on a delay might be tone to affect the darkness of the tails to emulate an analog delay or modulation to emulate the pitch wobble of a tape delay.