Author Topic: Suggestions and Bug reports  (Read 9458 times)

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
Re: Two suggestions, two bugs and a question
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »
other controls on a delay might be tone to affect the darkness of the tails to emulate an analog delay
ok, i think i understand better the request now : the delay are currently quite dark, ie lowpassed feedback, which give a quite short delay tail.
i will try to work out something about it.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2023, 06:44:31 PM »
here we go  :)

delay is now a lot less lowpassed when feedback = 1

and if you want to test some new fx, there is two granular thingy...

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2023, 12:33:11 AM »
I think that's great! Awesome work on both fronts! The delay seems way better to me and the granular mode (specifically number 2) makes everything sound absolutely bonkers :) Please PR that!

And because I can't stop I have another feature request: A Phaser effect, e.g to add some texture and variation to percussive things. I've had a lot of with them on another synth

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2023, 08:52:39 AM »
great !
it need a bit of optimisation in the granular part and maybe some enhancement ?

about the phaser effect, you already can do it in the FX1 section, with the allpass filters (Ap4 ..)

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2023, 01:53:06 PM »
Oh these effects man.

If it's possible I'd like to have list explaining what all these abbreviations stand for and what's special about them. With some of them it's pretty clear, but what's the difference between e.g. LP1, LP2 and LP3? What is h+o (or however it's called) supposed to be? I have also no clue what an all-pass filter is... (I would assume it's a do-nothing filter)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:41:43 PM by UltraBlack »

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2023, 08:08:14 PM »
you can use the readme of https://github.com/pvig/preenfm2 to get a detailed list of the fx1, which were originaly made for the preenfm2
there is some iteration on basic filters, like lp2, lp3 etc.. , not usefull to have many, i guess it was done by a newbye dsp coder entusiast !
fortunatelly, Xavier was very wise to add some code to filter that fx list on display, (they remain usable by CC selection).
Maybe it would be a good idea to clean up that list again someday :-X

About phasing, allpass are basic filter blocks for that : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaser_%28effect%29
just use a lfo to modulate it and you're phased !

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2023, 02:03:57 AM »
Is this based of the 1.0?

here we go  :)

delay is now a lot less lowpassed when feedback = 1

and if you want to test some new fx, there is two granular thingy...

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2023, 07:11:03 AM »
yes, it's based on 1.0
a note about the two granular fx : when the 2nd param >=1, audio is locked in a loop, so one can record a chord and then play over it (with Mix = 0.5 for example).

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2023, 12:25:47 AM »
re: granular Fx audio loop, thats really cool.

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2023, 01:55:03 PM »
I just thought of another Idea: What about a sample player? Most of the features are already there (effects, filters, an SD card, ...). They should theoretically be less performance heavy since no computation apart from playing the samples needs to be done.

Or would this have issues with the ram limitations? Could ram limitations be worked around with sort of a wave analyzer that takes the sample and converts it into something that the synth can use more easily? Maybe the Fourier Transform can be used to extract the waves to put them into the operators..

I have no idea how practical or realistic this is, but the PFM3 has quite a lot of things to it's disposal

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2023, 02:40:09 PM »
i think it would take too much ram to be done, unless some kind of sd card streaming, but i have no idea of the feasibility.

About the Fourier transform, you're talking about some kind of resynthesis which, i guess, would need lot of ram and cpu.

I feel that we would benefit more from some sound design utilities.
If you wish to investigate that way, i can suggest some work i done about sample mimiking with fm : https://github.com/pvig/preen-mutator
it's a puredata project which aim is to analyze an audio sample to get some metrics from it, and then generate random preenfm patch, to begin with,
then try to mutate it to make it converge to the audio sample.
(inspired from https://www.jstor.org/stable/3680541)

Well, it does not work very well, it's not really better than the random patch feature of the preenfm ::)
The good thing with this approach is that it would not need more cpu usage on the preenfm.

Maybe someone can pick up this idea an try to do something out of it ?

About the current features, here is another fw version with optimizations and slightly enhanced granular fx, especially Grain2 can now be tuned to the octave.

superfake

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2023, 03:29:55 PM »
Hello Toltekradiation!
Thanks for your great work!

Two wishes, if possible...  ::)

Is it possible organize to save the position of performance parameters in a preset or in a mix?

Is it possible to add a Constant as a source to the modulation matrix?
Sometimes such a source is not enough, and using a rectangular LFO for this is too wasteful.

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2023, 04:22:09 PM »
I think it would take too much ram to be done, unless some kind of sd card streaming, but i have no idea of the feasibility.

About the Fourier transform, you're talking about some kind of resynthesis which, i guess, would need lot of ram and cpu.

If you wish to investigate that way, i can suggest some work i done about sample mimiking with fm : https://github.com/pvig/preen-mutator
it's a puredata project which aim is to analyze an audio sample to get some metrics from it, and then generate random preenfm patch, to begin with,
then try to mutate it to make it converge to the audio sample.

Well, it does not work very well, it's not really better than the random patch feature of the preenfm ::)
The good thing with this approach is that it would not need more cpu usage on the preenfm.

I wasn't thinking to do that live. I had some sort of sample to patch converter in mind. Doing that at runtime would not work obviously. Kind of like your puredata patch, but just on the PFM3 itself (and utilizing the Fourier Transform to be more accurate. If maybe the bootloader had the ability to do that, you'd have pretty much all the resources available to convert samples).
Regarding that PD patch: I have zero clue how to use it. Maybe I should learn how to use puredata. It seems fascinating.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2023, 05:54:01 PM »
ah ok,
i think it's much easier to do such program in your regular pc : much cpu & ram available, many tools available.

yes, try puredata, it's free and very cool.

UltraBlack

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »
I have another bug to report Xavier: If you lower the amount of voices an instrument can have to 0 (why is that a thing) while it's playing something, you can get the pfm3 to crash pretty reliably. I always do this by accident