PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

PREENFM3 CONTROL PANEL CONNECTION PROBLEM

(1/3) > >>

odayan:
Hi,

Completely newbie here. Preenfm3 is my first DIY project.

I assembled everything as per the build but control board buttons and knobs were either not working or working randomly.

I thought this is because bad soldering, first tried to repair the suspected bad soldering and then tried to desolder 6 pin connector where I ruined some of the pads  :'(

At this point I took professional support and got the 3 ruined connections hardwired to the correct tracks. The unit returned to the initial build state where %99 of the time the buttons and knobs are not working.

I checked the forum treads with control board problems and followed the steps for checking.

I've done all continuity and shortcut tests on all the connector pins. All are ok.

I get 5v on all 4 74HC165

I've checked the continuity of all buttons, all are ok.

All led activity at the main board are ok.

Connecting a midi keyboard I get sound and midi activity but no blue light blinking on the control board.

I couldnt enter DFU mode with the DFU button, neither with the menu button (which is not working).

My control board version is V2.0.1 and the main board v2.1

Any advice on the next step?

Thanks!!!

Olus

Xavier:

Hi,

Yes looks like some soldering problems.
If does not work 99% of the time, that means it works 1% of the time.

When you check the 5v on the 74HC165, where do you take the GND ? On the control board too ?
I ask this because it can be a problem with GND on the control board.

Or maybe a shortcut between the 3 Data pins between the control board and the main board.

The DFU built in button on the main board must be hold down when turning on the preenfm.
Then it enterrs CPU DFU mode, so the screen remains black. And DFU can be seen from a computer and a USB cable with a DFU capable software.

On the control board, the blue led will blink when the preenfm2 receves midi Clock from external midi.

Xavier

odayan:
Hi,

Thank you for the comments.

--- Quote from: Xavier on August 09, 2023, 09:32:27 AM ---If does not work 99% of the time, that means it works 1% of the time.

--- End quote ---

Sorry this was a bit misleading. I meant to say, it does nothing %99 of the time, and it works random %1 of the time. The unit starts at the mix section, very rarely the sound volumes change without touching anything. The only consistent button that I spotted is the seq button. When I press it sound 6 becomes active (yellow) but no parameter change. 

--- Quote from: Xavier on August 09, 2023, 09:32:27 AM ---When you check the 5v on the 74HC165, where do you take the GND ? On the control board too ?
I ask this because it can be a problem with GND on the control board.

--- End quote ---

I checked it with the mainboard GND as well (GND pin right below the processor) and I get 5v. I checked the shortcut between the data pins both from the main board and the control board but all look ok.

Midi activity was there but without blue led blink.

I managed to flash the unit with DFUSE, the other web usb didnt work. However from the releases page the latest DFU file that I could find was for version v0.107. I also put this version on the SD card.

Strange things continue after that...

After flashing, no midi activity (neither blink nor activity on screen) and also the strange activity on the seq button is gone.

The unit started only a few times and control board did nothing. After that it did not start (no screen, no blue led activity on the main board)  :'(

Help please

EDIT: after another flash the unit started and blue led activity is normal. No midi activity and no control board function, no random activity neither.

odayan:
Now reading this from another tread:

"New PCB (1.6-100) only works with firmware 1.09 and newer.
As written in firmware 1.09 : "With these new PCBs, the knobs and butons won't respond with earlier firmware."

Could you compile the DFU file for the latest firmware? Only Dfuse works for me.

Thank you!!!!

Xavier:

--- Quote from: odayan on August 10, 2023, 03:32:28 AM ---Now reading this from another tread:

"New PCB (1.6-100) only works with firmware 0.109 and newer.
As written in firmware 0.109 : "With these new PCBs, the knobs and butons won't respond with earlier firmware."

Could you compile the DFU file for the latest firmware? Only Dfuse works for me.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, i totally forgot about this possibility.
But all mainboard are shipped flashed with latest firmware, i don't know why you needed to flash it.
Anyway...
I only have a laptop where i am. Will try to create a DFU file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version