Author Topic: pfm2 with yellow OLED : high frequency solution  (Read 51554 times)

SMF

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow OLED : high frequency solution
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
My version (R5d) has the OLED mod applied (22 Ohm Resistor), it even has this marked on the PCB ("OLED = 0 or 22 for OLED MOD")... and there is a (grounded) shield in between the OLED-Board and the Preen-Mainboard. But still I have a significant(!) amount of this high pitched tone in my recordings (-60dBFS is not really near being acceptable for me)...

Any suggestions?

SMF

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
Additionally to the thick, single layer grounded aluminium-shield which was already inside my preen, I dersperately added 216 Layers of aluminium-foil like discribed in the initial post by Xavier. This was just the maximum I could snuggly fit in between OLED-Module and Preen-Mainboard. These layers are not connected to anything and remove ANY(!) spurs I still had in the output.

I can measure down to -120dBFS and there is plainly nothing left. So, to me it seems like all spurs I had were related to the OLED-Module. It also seems to be just the magnetic field produced by the Buck-converter (PSU) on the module. Most probably (but I don't have a need to give this a test-run for now) ferromagnetic material (multiple thin iron-sheets) would be better suggestion for a shield against the magnetic field than using aluminium.

Stefan

dimifrag

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
with the r4 pcb you have different solution?

cokosha

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2020, 10:07:34 AM »
Hello, Xavier!
does a new board preenfm2 R6 SMD need a protective shield?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Hello, Xavier!
does a new board preenfm2 R6 SMD need a protective shield?

Hi,
Short answer : yes

From my test the yellow oled noise is a bit lower.
As you can see on the PCB R6 there's nothing bellow the guilty yellow OLED coil, but that was not enough.

You can still go with this blue OLED :
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/rec002004abpp5n0/alphanumeric-oled-displays/raystar-optronics/rec002004abpp5n00000/
Or any LCD if your case allows that.

jabberwalky

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: pfm2 with yellow OLED : high frequency solution
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2022, 12:19:25 AM »
Does the blue OLED cure the noise issue? I've gone through this thread, but wanted to see if there's any new updates. Can I just swap in a different OLED. I also have the R6.1 SMD board I could replace the original with.

Like this one linked earlier. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0420DZW-AB5?qs=GsYt9UssMOHfgDYXALp6kQ%3D%3D

I'd be ok with just going LCD if the noise is gone. I have the white preenfm2 metal case.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:29:25 AM by jabberwalky »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: pfm2 with yellow OLED : high frequency solution
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2022, 08:17:37 AM »
Hi,

LCD displays are not compatible with the VanDaalElectronics metal case.
LCD are bigger. You will have to build/3D print a new case.

Unfortunately i don't know about the OLED you mentioned.
OLED screen are all different.