PreenFM > preenfm2 and preenfm3

Few observations

(1/5) > >>

kuzma_p:
First of all. I've found some quirks and wanna know, does this behavior is something intended to be.

1. When i change algorithms and available voice numbers in instruments overall loudness jumps significantly. Yes, 1-carrier Algo sounds louder than 2- or 3-carrier. And 1-voice instrument sounds even louder. Don't you think that this needs to be compensated or fine-tuned somehow? Nevertheless, this does not cause much inconvenience.

2. When i modulate OP1 by OP2 everything sounds fine, but when i connect OP3 to OP2 such way for example: OP3 -> OP2 -> OP1 with any modulation index greater than 0, timbre starts to 'beat' like there is 'detune' somewhere between OP3 and OP2. This kinda differs from 'classic'  FM behavior where modulating OPs with exact tuning produces static tone.

3. When i tweak IMs while holding key on external midi keyboard i get sound with one timbre and when i retrig this note i can get significantly different tone.

Xavier:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. This is how it works. To avoid saturation and to laverage the room in the sample as much as possible for each algorithm.
That's the same with the number total voices used by all the timbres.  The final mix stage divides the final sample by the number of voice so that it fits the 18 bits of the converter.

2. I'm surprise by the >0.. That's true that upper operator cannot have large IM. And it works better with small frequency in the upper op... I'll give a depper look.

3. I need more information on this one. The IM is multiplied by the input operator which has en enveloppe. So the begining of the sound can differ from the end, which is maybe what you hear. There are 48 seconds (16 seconds * (Atk +  dec + sus)) = during which the enveloppe can vary.
Let me know with more details.

kuzma_p:
3. Ok, i'll try to tweak and record some output today

kuzma_p:
Then i want to make few suggestions  :)

4. I'm noticing that KSyn 0.02 in LFO settings producing some delay (or maybe it is placebo?) or feels not fas enough. Maybe you can set 0.01 as really instant LFO retrig? There is use case i'm exploiting alot on SW or HW synths to alter every triggered note, something like S&H: i use random LFO wave with really slow rate (or even 0) which retrigs with new random value each time key is pressed. When played fast with such LFO assigned on IM or Cutoff you get instant random mental acid line, AFX utilizes this trick a lot. Or when such LFO affects Tune slightly you can get something with analog feel.

5. Can you add (up to) X10 modulation multiplier in Tools>Set for someone who need fast sharp blips and zaps when modulating pitch with Envelope? And anyway this can be cool experimental feature.

6. What about introducing 4 additional modulation sources, W/X/Y/Z linked to CCs, which you can set in Tools>Set ? Exact thing is already implemented in Waldorf Blofeld.

7. And some kind of exorbitant feature request / idea:
Macro control for common sound characteristics that is accessible via hold key combination Eng + Op for example.
With this you can control 4 sound characteristics: Attack (simultaneously in respect of already set OPs attacks) , Length (simultaneously in respect of already set OPs decays and releases), Brightness (IMs), Transpose. It is just idea, so this could be discussed.

Thanks for your attention.

--
Xavier's modification: renumbered points

Xavier:
Seems like you spent time with your Preen  :)

4. Great trick ! I'l think about a solution. Maybe Adding a "Off" value then starting at 0.00.

5. I 'm not sure i get it. x10 on the LFO env timing ?  You meant /10 on the timing right ? Strange to be in the settings, it's more a preset parameter.

6. It was in the PreenFM1 and i removed it... i'll definitely add it back. CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4.

7. Would that work to be able to access the 4 CC of previous point from the encoder ? You could route CC1 to 4 target in the Matrix.

As you seem to be really inside the engine...
I'll share this week a beta version of the "work in progress" firmware: arpeggiator, IM/velocity per voice, cheap but usefull filter section (LP, HP, Bass boost).

Xavier

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version