Author Topic: PCB Only/BOM problem reports  (Read 22643 times)

flocked

• Team member
    • View Profile
PCB Only/BOM problem reports
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
1. You forgot to mention the 330nF capacitor in the bom. Now I need to make a new order for it :/ Or can I use something else?
2. I ordered the encoder alternative PEC11R. Unfortunatly it has 2 pins to much (on the other side). Should I cut them?
3. The mini usb connector (female) looks different. How should I solder?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:18:06 AM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PreenFM2 Bug report
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
1. Sorry.. Just added.
I'll leave the text at the top of the BOM page one more week  ;)
This 330nF capacitor is used to filter the input 7-9V DC in before the 5V (7805) regulator.
It's not essential at all. Should work without. Can be replaced by anything bigger.
In the worst case put a 100nF here.

2. Yes, the alternative encoder has a switch. And the 2 aditionnal pins are the pins for this switch. You can cut them.

3. Contact 2 and 3 (the one that needs to be plug to the PreenFM PCB) shows up clearly in this PDF :
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/185/e24000019-36944.pdf
I think you can plug the black part directly in the CERB40 board. Metal parts will make things thicker.

Xavier
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:39:45 PM by Xavier »

flocked

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PreenFM2 Bug report
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
Okay, I finished everything. I still didn't got my display, but it should work without display, right?
Unfortunately I can't get it to work :/ Jumper 1 and 2 are closed.

I uploaded the bootloader and firmware to the cerb40, which worked great (I set a jumper to jump3 and connected a usb cable directly to the mini usb connector of cerb).

(btw. I didn't add any capacitor on the 330nf place)

Now nothing works (except puting it again to dfu).
- If I connect an usb cable directly to the cerb I can't see any device on my computer (if cerb isn't in dfu mode)
- If i connect a 9v 1a to it, nothing happens. I tried so send midi notes to it via the din5 connector, but it isn't working.
- The only thing I can see is my blinking usb storage stick if I connect it to the usb connection.

Any idea why? :/

Oh and for what is the usb connection (not the host one for usb storage)? Only for usb midi or also for powering it without power cable? If also for powering, it isn't working either. :/

Without display it's of course hard to see, if it's running. Should the led blink if it's receive midi notes? And how can I activate usb midi blind without display?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:02:06 AM by flocked »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PCB Only/BOM problem reports
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:34:26 AM »
Yes the USB midi also power the PreenFM.
The Led is currently not used.

Initial test:
. Do the led of the LCD turn on when the PreenFM is power up ?
. Display : have you tried to turn the LCD contrast resistor to the 2 extreme position ?
. Did you remove jm3 after having flashed the firmware ? jmp3 force the PreenFM2 to boot in DFU mode.
. Double check the command you used to flash the bootloader and firmware and do it again. Did you run the command from the zip file ?

To check if the bootlader is correctly flashed.
. see http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/ . Open Jmp3.  power up the PreenFM while pressing button 3. You should see the device on your computer exactly as if Jm3 is closed.

To Activate USB midi without display, download the attached "settings.pfm" and copy it on your USB stick in "/pfm2/" folder.
But you should hear sound when sending notes to Din5 input any way.

Let me know how it goes,
If no progress, i'll upload a picture to check the ground, 3.3V and 5V on the PCB.

Xavier

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:38:25 AM by Xavier »

flocked

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Sorry for the false alarm, everything is working fine.

Because I still don't have the lcd display, i was confused, if it's working. However USB midi showed me the device on my mac and I could play notes :) Awesome synth.

A suggestion:
Replace the two headers for usb connection with a female usb a connector. I found the process of soldering the cable a bit hard. I destroyed the mouser mini male connector, because the pins were too close each other and I melted the plastic. 0.3m mini usb cables are everywhere available and it would allow to just connect the cable without soldering.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Ah OK !
I just understood. You don't have a LCD at all....
I thought you didn't have it working. Glad you got some sonds  ;)

The first PCB prototypes i had was exactly as you suggestion describe.... It was not very "elegant".
I changed because cheap 30cm USB cables are not that easy to find and it took a lot of space in the case.

flocked

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Ah okay. I see :)

I can't wait to get the display. I want to play with it! :D I ordered the black/white from your suggested site.

At first I wanted to order a oled display. This needs a custom display init code. You would only need to change a few lines for it. Else it's hd44770 compatible.  Just in case someone is wondering.

Another thing: I personally prefer midi jacks that are soldered directly to the pcb. This minimize the need of cables and work and allows to use the synth without case. It also looks cleaner to me. I checked the pcb and there should be enough room for through hole jacks. :)

Oh and you mentioned on facebook that I could order the case on ponoko/formulor. How? :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:22:24 PM by flocked »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
At first I wanted to order a oled display. This needs a custom display init code. You would only need to change a few lines for it. Else it's hd44770 compatible.  Just in case someone is wondering.

Where did you read that ?
All HD44770 display are compatible. I have a PreenFM1 with an OLED display and it does not require any code change at all.
The only change is that it's a bit smaller and need to modify the case around it.

Another thing: I personally prefer midi jacks that are soldered directly to the pcb. This minimize the need of cables and work and allows to use the synth without case. It also looks cleaner to me. I checked the pcb and there should be enough room for through hole jacks. :)

I also much prefer midi jacks on PCB. But with the display connection, it was not possible to have them close to the PCB border.

Oh and you mentioned on facebook that I could order the case on ponoko/formulor. How? :)

Go to the download page: http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/download/
Donwload the PreenFM2 svg file and install Inkscape on your computer.
If you want the whole case in the same color, you can use my svg file directly.
Else you'll have to play with inkscape and the templates downloadable from ponoko.
Create an account upload your file.
Material : Chose Acrylic GS, 3mm. Any color ;-)

Xavier

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »

Where did you read that ?
All HD44770 display are compatible. I have a PreenFM1 with an OLED display and it does not require any code change at all.
The only change is that it's a bit smaller and need to modify the case around it.

Now i'm really interested in more information about this boot difference. OLED does not work with PreenFM2.
Could save me some time tomorrow when i try to fix that.

Thanks

Altitude

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
I guess a better question is what's the difference between the preen 1 and 2 display drivers.. 1 worked without a hitch.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
I guess a better question is what's the difference between the preen 1 and 2 display drivers.. 1 worked without a hitch.

Agreed..
But PreenFM1 use 8 bits communication and PreenFM2 4 bits.. which makes the comparison not straightforward.

Altitude

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
umph, that's bad news.  I could never get it to work in 4 bit mode on a midibox project but I am far from qualified to debug something like that.  Hopefully you will have better luck
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:59:19 PM by Altitude »

flocked

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

Thanks a lot for this link  :)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
Firmware 0.9d + bootloader 1.01 have more conservative timing and should work with more (all ?) LCD display.
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/download/

Let me know if it works for you

Xavier
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 03:36:54 PM by Xavier »