Author Topic: pfm2 : 2.21  (Read 128067 times)

kuzma_p

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: New firmware 1.07 beta 2
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
By the way, if you want to dl this snippet for soundcloud demos set you can add .mp3 to the adress. I also saw a few new demos at soundcloud and they sound good.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New firmware 1.99c
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »

New firmware uploaded....
Thanks to those who can try it  :D

teevee

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: New beta firmware 1.99c (August 20th)
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
this is nice! :)

kuzma_p

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »
Thank you very much Xavier!
Gonna test it during weekend.

clément

• Team Member
    • View Profile
    • http://clementmarion.be
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »
I got the time to play a bit around with the new Note Midi Scaling, that's really a huge plus for me!
So many patches I felt deserved a different balance depending where it would be played. I'm gonna try and edit a few of them now to see what happens.
Oh and great job on creating two of those :)

SirPrimalform

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: New firmware 1.99c
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »

New firmware uploaded....
Thanks to those who can try it  :D

Oh wow! Just got back from a holiday so I was catching up on this thread and after reading the bit about the matrix being paraphonic I was going to ask what the behaviour was for the key tracking when playing chords (is it first note played, last note, highest or lowest?). But then I looked at the first post again and realised it had been updated... I was not expecting you to go and expand the matrix to polyphonic, but it's very much appreciated!

I'm just curious as I never actually used them, but why were the Att* and Rel* destinations removed? Is it just that something had to go and they were the least useful or is there a specific reason that they wouldn't work with the new version of the matrix?

Thanks again for the really cool updates.

EDIT: A hopefully small request, can the sample rate in the bitcrusher effect respond to the filter cutoff destination in the matrix so that we can modulate it with LFO, free envelope etc? I really enjoy the sound of sample-rate sweeps but I've just been doing them by hand while playing with the other hand.
At the moment the filter frequency destination doesn't seem to do anything if the bitcrusher is selected, so I don't think we'd be sacrificing anything.

Also a sort of related suggestion: When changing through FX, the values carry over from one to the next which has the unfortunate result of causing low amounts of bit-depth reduction = a high amount of screeching resonance and similarly a low amount of resonance = a large amount of crushing. One way around might be to invert the crushing parameter, so a low number means less reduction and a high number means more but I'm worried that that would break patches that use the crusher already (although it wouldn't be hard to fix them manually).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:39:10 PM by SirPrimalform »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 10:06:39 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Att* = All Operator attacks. Example : have a faster attack when velocity is high.
Rel* = All Operator releases.

I removed them temporarely for technical reason while refactoring. I found a solution to put them back.

Sample-rate sweeps ? never tried that. Good idea, i'll take a look to have it using the "Filter frequency" (that may become a "Filter parameter").

For the problem when changing the FX, yes moving around the parameters will break compatibility. I try to avoid that. Not sure it's worth the work.

SirPrimalform

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
Yes, I agree. It's not a good idea to break the compatibility! I just have to remember to put some bitcrushing on before changing to a resonant filter, I'll get used to it eventually.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »

1.99c has some very sever bugs when using Instrument 2,3,4. Stick with instrument 1  ;)

I'll upload a new version very soon with many bug fixes.
For the info, i'm also working of an updated version of the PC/mac editor.

Best

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New beta firmware 2.00 beta 1 (August 28th)
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
Click to download beta firmware 2.00 Beta 1

. Rel* at Att* matrix targets are back and Per voice :) Works fine with Velocity  source!
. polyphony fixed in instruments 2,3,4
. LFO phase now works when LFO freq is midi synced
. Optimization when LFOs or MAtrix rows are not used.
. Midi NRPN ready for editor
. Bit crusher optimization (it took a lot of CPU), "bits" param may sound different.
. Decreased max number of voices to 14.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:06:38 PM by Xavier »

kuzma_p

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
Finally had a brief play with this beta and did not spotted any problem yet. Gonna jam with it more of course.
Thank you Xavier!.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:30:54 AM by kuzma_p »

martindunne

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
absolutely awesome great work xavier

norbim1

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
Hi,

I upgraded my Discovery port with the new poly firmware, and it definitely sounds better then before! It's a Huge step I think. As I tested it, I noticed a small difference in an organ voice. I think, that the difference related to OP envelope. If I set both the sustain and release levels to zero, the release time has some effect on the sound, but I think it shouldn't have to be. Maybe it is a bug in my port, can somebody please check this on an original PreenFM2 hardware?

Thanks, Norbim

SirPrimalform

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
. Decreased max number of voices to 14.

Small sacrifice for such an increase in functionality! BTW, I'm curious about the bitcrusher; is it using dithering at the low settings?

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
Hi,

I upgraded my Discovery port with the new poly firmware, and it definitely sounds better then before! It's a Huge step I think. As I tested it, I noticed a small difference in an organ voice. I think, that the difference related to OP envelope. If I set both the sustain and release levels to zero, the release time has some effect on the sound, but I think it shouldn't have to be. Maybe it is a bug in my port, can somebody please check this on an original PreenFM2 hardware?

Thanks, Norbim

That's interesting i modified slightly the enveloppes.

If the bootloader works on your the discovery port, it's very easy to change the firmware using the "flash from USB" option. "OP" button in the bootloader
Put both firmware (1.06 and 2.0b1) on the USB drive and you can switch from one to the other in 10 seconds.

Or can you save your patch in the  default combo : SAVE>DEFL>SAVE.
Use the bootloader to access the default combo on your USB drive (ENG button)  its "pfm2/DFLTCMBO.pfm".
Attach your patch in this thread. I'll give it a try.

Thanks