Author Topic: Hi everybody! Please help me  (Read 4981 times)

Caverzago

• Team member
    • View Profile
Hi everybody! Please help me
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:40:21 AM »
Hi everybody,
Just bought my preen by second hand today. Very sorry but there are several things still I didn't understand after reading the menu and edit mode manual.

- Firmware is 2.10 and bootloader is 1.11, tried to upgrade to latest version 2.11download the zip file, but if I connect the preen to my mac via usb nothing happen, no icon on my desktop. How does it works and which file inside the zip is the one?

- Browsing in the Menu > Load > Bank Combo Dx7 are empty, where can I find the patches? I usually use Sysex Librarian for my synths, does it works (same problem about usb connection: no icon on my desktop, no ext hw seems connected.

Any help appreciated, so I can start to play with this beast!

Mnay thanks to all.

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everybody! Please help me
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:51:04 AM »
Hold down a button and then plug your preenfm2 in with the usb and it'll bring up a list of commands and then hit a button again and it'll bring up and open folder drive.

You should have a folder named "pfm2" there. If not, then add one.

Inside that folder you add your .bnk files and .cmb files and make a folder for the dx7 aka .syx files. Make a folder for the scala files as well which are .scl

This folder is also the folder you drop your firmware files in as well.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:03:40 AM by Brockstar »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »
Yes, follow the step 1 and 2 here :
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/
You have to extract the .bin from the zip and put the .bin files directly in /pfm2/.

There's also a full zip file that can show you the structure and some DX7 sysx attached to release 2.08 here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm2/releases
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:18:53 AM by Xavier »

Caverzago

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 01:15:21 AM »
Thanks a lot guys, starting to understand more, Feel quite dumb but first time with a diy synth, anyway firmware is ok now, but I can't find the patches. Folder on my mac displays like this:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:17:21 AM by Caverzago »

Brockstar

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:06:33 AM »
Probably has no patches. If there was patches they would be on the unit when you turned it on or in the USB folder. You'll have to add your own. Tons of free dx7 .syx files on the internet to load in.

Caverzago

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
Yep, just did it!
Anyway I was a little confused about the menu, must scroll between banks and so on an then select the options, so default patches are in.
Sorry again and thank you for your help ;D

muntanja

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Hello all,

So I also have a few questions regarding updating the preenfm2. I am currently running v2.10

I successfully connected my preen to my laptop and was able to access the usb drive, adding bank files with success. I also downloaded firmware upgrade 2.11 and copied all the .bin files to the pfm2 folder. However, even after following the instructions from here > http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/upgrade-firmware/ <, I am unsure on what I need to do next.

This is my process:

1. Hold button 1 and plug preenfm2 into laptop via usb. I am greeted with screen which reads " *bootloader v1.11* > eng:usb access > Op: Flash Mtx:DFU > menu: reboot.
2. I select button 2 (Op) which allows me to select through the .bin files.

Now this is where I am unsure, I don't want to mess anything up.

The latest firmware zip file comes with 5 .bin files, these are: p2_2.11.bin; p2_2.11o.bin; p2_boot_1.11.bin; p2_cv_2.11.bin; and p2_cv_2.11o.bin.

Do I need to go through all the 2.11 .bin files and flash them? I already have bootloader v1.11, so I presume I do not need to flash this. Also, there are 5 .cmd files which also came bundled in the .zip file, do I copy these to the pfm2 folder as well?

Thank you

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »

With the builtin bootloader, you cannot do anything wrong, you'll always be able to flash again.
The bin file you want is : p2_2.11o
You don't need the cmd files if you flash from the bootloader.

But don't hesitate to flash the BETA : http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69669.0

muntanja

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
Thanks Xavier