Author Topic: preenfm3 : v1.03 (Toltekradiation/pvig : "vosim" algos + CC + fix)  (Read 26934 times)

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 07:04:45 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 firmware : 0.92
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »

New sequencer and many UI/control surface fixes.
I also dicrease the SD communication frequency as an attempt to fix the SD problem some user have.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 11:05:23 PM »
I'm working on a 0.93 to fix UI stability issues i have with some of my TFTs.
Will be availble this week.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:45:37 PM »
v0.93 available.
Upgrade if you have visual/TFT problems.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 firmware : 0.93
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
New in V0.94
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/releases

New
. Stereo pan added to the mixer part.
. Smooth pan and volume (no click at all) in mixer
. Add CC7 and CC10 to control volume and stereo in the mixer
. midi control of the feedback modulation : midi CC #31
. Editor : hold edit + encoder : multiple pam edition (MIX, Pan, Operator ENV, MI)

Fixed
. Fix left/right pan at the operator level (was reversed)
. Smooth left/right pan at the operator level (produced small click)
. display glitch when modifying IM button not part of the ALGO
. MIX4/PAN4 now work in the matrix

Other
. Display refresh optimization

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:59:44 PM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 firmware : 0.94 (Nov 8th 2020)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
v0.95

SD card compatibility improved
    Cards that did not work and now work :
    . Transcend SDHC 4Gb card
    . Sandisk Extreme 32Gb (With SD adaptor)
    . Intenso SDHC class 10 8Gb. But still have a problem to create bank (big save). SD seems to stop responding in the middle of the file creation.

Randomizer does not modify monoPoly neither number of voices anymore

DX7 import does not set number of voice to 1

Arpeggiator can be used and hold while randomizing or browsing DX7 preset

Changing operator is limited to the operators used by the current algo

Mixer/Seq file creation now add numbers to presets

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 firmware : 0.96 (bootloader 1.05 with SD card access)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
Firmware 0.96

. Fixed active timbre detection to calculate the volume attenuation
. Fixed a voice reallocation bug that could lead to instrument not playing after loading new preset
. SD card access frequency back to 15Mhz

bootloader 1.05

It's now possible to access the SD card from the computer with the USB cable.
Not need anymore to remove the SD card from the preenfm3.
This allows to cut your SD card (search the web for that) and to build a closed enclosure without the SD card going beyound.

Developer detail : the bootloader now also uses DMA access for the SD card.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 firmware : 0.97 (bootloader 1.06)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
Firwmare 0.97

New Mixer
Volume is not adjusted anymore with number of timbres or number of voices.
Some features allow you to set correctly the volume
. Compressor per instrument (Off, slow, medium, fast). Ratio always 1/3.
. Clear Clipping warning message at the output level
. Level meters with current compressed ratio (can be disable in the Global Setting Mixer section).

Scala
. Fix : instrument 1 could not enable scala scale
. For scale with less than 12 notes, notes not assigned are now silent (used to repeat the last note of the scale)

Sequencer
. Bug fix when exiting and coming while recording
. Play and record toggle are now 2 different buttons
. UI modificatons

Menu
. Preset>New reinits all params and now play as expected

Bootloader 1.07

. Proper warning message when no firmware in '/'.
  Used to display some weird characters.

. Fix a bug with windows and SDCard > 4Gb that prevented windows to access the SD in "SD card access" mode.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:54:18 PM by Xavier »

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: preenfm3 : 0.97 (compressors and level metters)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:48 AM »
Scala
. Fix : instrument 1 could not enable scala scale
. For scale with less than 12 notes, notes not assigned are now silent (used to repeat the last note of the scale)

I use tunings a lot that have more than 12 notes per octave. For example, 19EDO. The way I learned to play this tuning is that a sounding octave is an octave-and-a-fifth on a keyboard. So for example from C3 to G4 is one acoustic octave. Currently on the Preen FM3 with this tuning [19EDO, just for an example] you can play from C3 to F#4, almost an octave, but then the octave does not occur until C5, then everything repeats again over two keyboard octaves. In addition to the problem of this gap, another even worse problem is that every key you play in has the big gap in a different spot, so there is no consistency to interval sizes.

The general standard used in all synthesizers I know of going back to Yamaha, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, and Sequential is to not have any gaps for intonations with more than 12 notes per octave, and I would suggest that change for the Preen FM3. Thanks for reading!

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 06:25:46 AM »
I use tunings a lot that have more than 12 notes per octave. For example, 19EDO. The way I learned to play this tuning is that a sounding octave is an octave-and-a-fifth on a keyboard. So for example from C3 to G4 is one acoustic octave. Currently on the Preen FM3 with this tuning [19EDO, just for an example] you can play from C3 to F#4, almost an octave, but then the octave does not occur until C5, then everything repeats again over two keyboard octaves.

That's really interesting as i don't know how other synths work.
In your example what notes are played by G4#, F4, F4# untill C5 ? The same note as C5 ?

In addition to the problem of this gap, another even worse problem is that every key you play in has the big gap in a different spot, so there is no consistency to interval sizes.
The general standard used in all synthesizers I know of going back to Yamaha, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, and Sequential is to not have any gaps for intonations with more than 12 notes per octave, and I would suggest that change for the Preen FM3. Thanks for reading!

I don't understand that. Is it something i broke in 0.97 ?
What do you mean by "every key you play in has the big gap in a different spot" ?

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 06:59:21 AM »
Xavier,

A little hard to explain, it would be easy with video/audio.

I loaded a 19-tone-per-octave Scala tuning.

Since there are 19 notes inside an octave that means that, for instance, 13 midi note numbers, say #60 through #72, which normally make an octave, now are less than an octave. 60 is still C4 let's say, but 72 is not C5 but more like G4-quarter-sharp or so. What the FM3 is doing now is giving 19 notes in a row, perfectly, from C3 up the keyboard to F#4 [midi number 66], then leaves G4 through B4 [midi note numbers 67 through 71] silent--nothing happens. Then when I get to C5 [midi note number 72] it sounds the upper octave of the 19-note chromatic scale I was playing. That note would normally have come with midi note #67 [that is, the key G4], and there would be no silent notes.

I hope that makes sense. What it seems like to me is that the software is applying the principle used for scales with **fewer** than 12 notes per octave, in which case it makes perfect sense to omit notes, in other words to leave silent keys.

If this is still unclear I might try to do a short video.

JeffS

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 07:05:52 AM »
What do you mean by "every key you play in has the big gap in a different spot" ?

I'm not sure about the issue of .97 vs. the ones before.

I just mean that if you have 5 silent keys, as happens for example with 19-EDO at the moment, then if the chord or interval you play contains that gap, then it will be a much larger PHYSICAL interval [the fingers will have to reach much farther] than if it is played on a portion of the keyboard without that gap of silent notes. For example, in the scenario I described in my post just above, a 19th-tone step sounds between C4 and C#4 [midi notes 60 and 61] while the same interval, a 19th-tone step, would be between F#4 and C5 [midi note numbers 66 and 72]. The same interval in both cases, but played in very very different ways, which is not the normal implementation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:10:44 AM by JeffS »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »

the term key is ambiguous here. JeffS is talking about key in a musical sense, as in "do-mineur" or "fa-major" not about a key you hit. so really its more something like tonality.

so with his issue that means that the silent notes he described will be from F# to C, now if he plays in C (DO) 19-EDO the gap comes shortly before the octave (the octave would be the g) but if he plays in D (RE) 19-EDO the gap comes in earlier making all fingering very inconsistent. the worst example would be F# (FA# or FI?) 19-EDO since that would essentially just play one note and then have a big gap before you get the next note on C5

i guess you mapped the scala files centered at C, and if you have more then 12 notes per octave it leaves the rest of the second used octave empty only to begin on the next c again. what JeffS is proposing (and what makes much more sense for these kind of tunings) is a continuous mapping of the 19 notes over the 12 keys.

start at midi note 0 through 18 for the first "19-Octave", then 19 to 37 will be the next etc.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.

On the preenfm, Scala mapping has 2 options : Keyboard, and Continu(ous).
Keyboard starts each scale on a C on the keyboard then leaves some gap. (Every 2 C when > 12 notes in the scale.)
Continuous fixes the middle C then maps each note frequency continuously on every note.

How is it different from the Continuous mapping ?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:23:13 AM by Xavier »

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 08:33:53 AM »
continuous is the perfect option for him, he was just not aware of it i guess (and neither was i, since i never used scala files, i just tried to help understand the problem)