Author Topic: pfm2 flash  (Read 4463 times)

Rotur

• Team member
    • View Profile
pfm2 flash
« on: December 18, 2020, 03:03:13 AM »
Apologies but I'm new here. Have managed to download the 2.20 firmware. The YT video suggests (as does the manual) that the firmware is to be stored on a USB stick (this is for the eurorack version).  I'm confused as the desktop version of the FM2 has USB type B but most USB Drives are Type A. And the alternative C6 install option is listed for a Windows environment. I'm on a Mac. Can someone please talk me through this. Thank you
Roman
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:24:49 AM by Xavier »

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: pfm2 Eurorack flash
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:47:58 AM »

Hi,
The type B connector on the Eurorack is for Midi over USB.
The UsbKey is on the back of the PCB, not on the Eurorack front panel.

Rotur

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
Thank you but I should have been clearer. I actually have the desktop version and not the Eurorack version.

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
on the desktop version the usb-stick is inside the case. you can put the preenfm2 into "mass storage mode" to gain access to the stick if connected via usb to your computer (via the usb-port at the back)

Rotur

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 12:07:00 AM »
Thank you lokki but how do I get the firmware from my Mac to talk to the internal USB stick? Do I use a Sysex type of transfer method? Not sure about this part...the manual is written in English by a non native speaker and unfortunately I find it a little confusing in places

lokki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 12:27:39 AM »
There are several methods.

I am not sure where you "are" with your Preenfm2. Is is already running and you
want to upgrade the firmware? Or have you built one and need to flash for the first time?

If your synth is already running, then the easiest method is probably to boot into the bootloader and enable mass storage device mode, so that you can access your usb-stick via the broken out usb port. Then you can simply copy the firmware to the root directory of the stick and update it directly on the Preenfm2.

The docs for this should be pretty clear. You can also put your Preenfm2 into DFU mode and update via terminal with the dfu-util program.

Rotur

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: pfm2 flash
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 04:34:55 AM »
That did the trick! Many thanks...Easier than imagined it would be...

lokki

• View Profile
Re: pfm2 flash
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »
Glad it worked out