Author Topic: User Waveforms  (Read 4308 times)

Kyg

• Team member
    • View Profile
User Waveforms
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »
Hi,

I didn’t want to mess up the sticky on this forum about user waveforms.

I have tried Audacity and Adobe Audition on a Mac, both of which supposedly can export wave data as txt. But I just have not been able to find the option to do so in either of those apps.

I think I’m using wave files with the correct specs.

The menu path for Audacity mentioned in the sticky thread from 2016 doesn’t seem to exist in my Audacity (latest Mac version) and neither can I find a txt export option in Audition, even though the manual says it exists.

Are there any other ways to convert a wave file to txt?
Google search results all seem to be for conversion of spoken word audio to written text.

Alternatively, would anyone like to share their txt files for PreenFM?

Thanks,
Phil
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:25:07 AM by Kyg »

vurt

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: User Waveforms
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 04:04:13 AM »
Here are mine.

https://filebin.net/67vl9to89g7xwc8y

i did these very early on, without really knowing what kind of waveforms would be good to have for the sounds i wanted to make.. I just created waveforms that were different than the ones that comes with the unit.

I went through my patches and these are the user waveforms i tend to use: 6,2,1,5 in that order, 5 was only used 2-3 times, 6 is used a lot, very useful instead of Square imo. 4 and 3 are rather useless.

I will load up my Audacity and make some new ones i think, to replace 4 and 3 which i never really use. It can be quite interesting since it can have such a big impact on the sound.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 05:10:46 AM by vurt »

Kyg

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
Thanks a lot for these waveforms!

I appreciate it!

Phil

JohnSilence

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:10:32 PM »
Hi all,

I hope it’s okay for me to piggyback some thoughts about custom waveforms in Phil’s thread. I’ve had this in my work email drafts folder for a week or two but haven’t gotten over here to post it until now.

The ability to use waveforms other than the standard TX81Z set is really cool and opens up sound design possibilities. I haven't spent much time with the FM3 to know the ins and outs of custom waveforms, but I've read some here on the forum and have a few requests.

* Would it be possible to have the Preen utilize single cycle .wav files so no intermediary software like Audacity is needed to convert custom waveforms to text files? For example, Adventure Kid has a ton of single cycle waveforms that would be fun to play with.

Skipping the conversion step for these would be nice, in particular because there's some privacy concerns about upcoming versions of Audacity. If there's a way to handle this from within the Mac/PC editor, that would work fine. I haven't tried it out yet to see.

* Could we also have more slots for waveforms than six custom waveforms? Tripling that to 18 would work for me. I read something in an old post (which I think was for the original PreenFM) about there being 64k available for waveforms, but I'm wondering and hoping that some waveforms could be stored where presets are stored and then shuffled into memory when needed. Note: I don't code at all so have no idea how painful implementing that would be.

If this is low (or no) priority stuff, I get it. Many custom waveforms won’t make great modulators, though many are worthy of being tried as carriers. I think it would be neat to have more flexibility here, if that’s possible.

Kyg

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »
Having looked at the files Vurt provided, I was able to export txt files from my own waves with Audacity that work with the PreenFM3.

Thanks for the help!

Phil

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
ok, let's go, here is my .txt waveforms.
If you want more, I also joined a puredata patch to let you generate the 1024 list (need the cyclone~ & zexy externals).
it does waveforms based on 3 sine addition, i think it's the most useful kind of waveforms as it does nice waveshaper (aka the 0hz carrier trick).