Author Topic: User algorithm?  (Read 3468 times)

mcfroski420

• Team member
    • View Profile
User algorithm?
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:08:11 AM »
Hey, not quite sure where else I can ask this, but is there any hope for the ability to set a user algorithm on a later edition of the preenfm3 firmware? Or is that something that would take way too much time to program in?
I’m just wondering because this is the one thing holding me back from selling my Opsix and solely utilizing the preenFM3 as my only fm synth

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: User algorithm?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »

Hi,

User algorithm ? An algorithm that you can build from operator blocks ?
No i don't have any plan for that.
I don't know how it works on the Opsix. I'll have a look on youtube.

How would you wire the operators to sound differently from the existing algo ?

mcfroski420

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:25:52 AM »
Specifically the only things that I’d do differently would be to add the ability to have an operator act as both a modulator and a carrier. It’s not super common on hardware synths, but it’s the one real thing that I’d say softsynths like FM8 have going for them over the Yamaha DX line.
The elektron digitone has this to an extent as well but the ratios with the carrier/modulator oscillators are not as flexible as they could be.

I just wanted to emphasize that I’m not trying to be a whiny bitch trying to get into a FM synth feature pissing contest, and you’ve made a thing of beauty with the preenfm3. I’m just trying to throw some ideas out there, and I’m sorry if they are shit ideas.

hwk

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
yamaha FM synths of the sy/tg 77 and sy99 generation had a "freemform algorithm" , which could be configured by sysex only. it was possible, because they had arranged their FM engine in a bus-like system, where then every operator was able to send and receive from every other. i´ll attach a pic from the editor software "FM alive", as thats easier to understand than words. the downside of this approach is, that carriers sending to the audio(output) bus were scaled automatically in volume to avoid clipping. this created unwanted problems, if one used them also as modulators simultaneously.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »
I just wanted to emphasize that I’m not trying to be a whiny bitch trying to get into a FM synth feature pissing contest....

Haha, OK  ;D that made me laugh.

That quite a good idea. I have the FM8 and the way it presents the Operator is quite nice... but requires a lof of space on the screen.
Everything is doable, after it's a question of CPU usage,  ease of use on the hardware.

yamaha FM synths of the sy/tg 77 and sy99 generation had a "freemform algorithm"

That's interesting and a very nice way of presenting the Algorithms.
I'm not sure i understand the limt. Can you have an operator modulate several others ?
I wish i have more free time to expermient that  ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:51:21 PM by Xavier »

hwk

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »
yep 1 modulator going to several carriers is possible as e.g. in algo44 (from the TG77 manual): op6 modulates op 1-5 plus itself via feedback. each op has 2 inputs and can draw from the busses, the other ops are sending to. plus there are 3 feedback busses +the possiblility to use a noise source and/or a sample (aka AWM) to modulate an op. quite a flexible architecture.