Author Topic: preenfm3 Eurorack (maybe DIY retrofit?)  (Read 2999 times)

zmberber

• Team member
    • View Profile
preenfm3 Eurorack (maybe DIY retrofit?)
« on: November 18, 2021, 02:44:27 PM »
I will immediately get a preenfm3 once it is available in eurorack format.  Well, if it ever happens, that is.  I don't even care about having CV input sources, the midi functionality is great and i could just have a CV to MIDI converter for stuff like that.  All I want is the eurorack format (the formfactor).

I don't know if VanDaalElectronics has this planned (like with the preenfm2), in case there is some information on that, I would like to know.

I thought I could just retrofit it myself.  My first thought was that I could just make a custom front panel with inputs and outputs on the side or something like that.  I would reroute all the inputs to the side and to (mini) jacks and trs midi jacks.  Well that is a lot of cables.  At least 28 if I counted correctly.  So I thought I could just print a pcb myself, which i would mount on top of the section of the preenfm3 pcb with all of the connection points for all the jacks and midi and usb, with double male pin headers (or whatever they are called).  This pcb that I would print then has some ribbon cable attachment points, which I would then connect to another custom made eurorack module that just consists of the jacks for midi, usb and audio.  The only other thing I would have to worry about is handling the DC power conversion, but I would handle that on the same custom pcb.

The thing is, I would need the exact measurements of the preenfm3 pcb, so that the pins headers line up.  Afaik, David doesn't publish the files for the pcb of the preenfm3 (which is totally understandable).

Is my idea viable?

I am not very well versed in DIY stuff yet, so please tell me if this is a stupid idea.

[Check the attachment for a sketch of what I mean.  I misspelled "multiple" as "multuple" hahaha]

For those outside the forum that can't see attachments, here is the image:  https://ibb.co/pjfC0wt
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:15:58 PM by zmberber »

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
Re: preenfm3 Eurorack (maybe DIY retrofit?)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
I dont have any plans for PFM3 to go to eurorack. Its too big for that. And it kind of doesnt make sense at this point.
If the firmware is more developed and there is time for usable CV inputs that really brings new things to PFM3.

With PFM2 it made the unit really fun and usable with CV inputs. I really still enjoy what I can do with it and how fun and good it sounds.
PFM3 still needs some time in my head. Need to get to know it more and what it can do.
Having 6 outputs then it would need a lot of CV inputs to make it fully usable on all the outputs.

Just moving the PFM3 as it is to eurorack is taking up a lot of HP and its not really functional with other eurorack modules. Output it line level etc.

So it a No on my side at this point.