Author Topic: Appropriate power supply for PreenFM3  (Read 3665 times)

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
Appropriate power supply for PreenFM3
« on: November 19, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »
Hi
I just acquired a Preen FM3 via Van Daal (excellent service if you're interested). I'm currently powering via the supplied usb cable but I much prefer a proper power supply.

I have dozens in the house but none of them appear to work. Before I buy something can someone confirm what I need. I'm UK based btw tho that shouldn't make any difference.

I assume a 9v centre positive but what m/A? I have a 750m/A plug and that did not power it up. I have a 2 Amp plug but I'm wary of trying it incase it is too much.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

served

• Van Daal Electronics
  • Team Member
    • View Profile
    • Van Daal Electronics
Re: Appropriate power supply for PreenFM3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
Hello.

Try the 2A version. It doesnt hurt and will work.
If it doesnt contact me over email to resolve it. There can be something wrong with the jumper configuration.

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
Turned out my 2A was centre negative. I tried a 9v 750m/A which got a brief flicker on the screen and the light on the panel. I have some 12v plugs with varying amp but I'm wary to try these. I'm going to buy a 9v plug between 1 to 2 Amps. i'm sure it'll work.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »
Hi,

I tried a 9v 750m/A which got a brief flicker on the screen and the light on the panel. I have some 12v plugs with varying amp but I'm wary to try these. I'm going to buy a 9v plug between 1 to 2 Amps. i'm sure it'll work.

Yes, the power supply must be 9v and center positive.

A "brief flicker" then what ? nothing ?
The preenfm3 consumes between 300 and 350mA depending on the TFT screen.
So 750mA should work fine.

It's always good to own a couple of converter like this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_power_ace_polarity_converter.htm

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:17:22 PM by Xavier »

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the converter suggestion - hadn't thought of that. As it happens I found an old Novation X Station power supply last night that is 9v 1A and it works. It's very bulky so I'll replace it with something lighter and smaller but for now it is doing the job.

I'll re-try that 750m/A plug but yes a flicker and then nothing. The light in the middle of the case lit up but the screen just flickered briefly and then went dead. It may be the plug but at least I now know the FM3 is all good for power.