Author Topic: Pre-built FM3 from Van-daal w/possible faulty screen  (Read 2538 times)

Lcerutti

• Team member
    • View Profile
Pre-built FM3 from Van-daal w/possible faulty screen
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:00:53 PM »
Hi there

I’ve had my FM3 for a couple months or so. Ever since I got it the screen will flash white during use and occasionally go completely white and stay that way. I’ve only experienced a couple complete crashes and for the most part the synth continues to run when the screen goes white. Is this a common issue or something that I can fix with a firmware update? TIA for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Louis 

jaradical

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-built FM3 from Van-daal w/possible faulty screen
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
Hi,

I've seen this too and use the info in this thread:

https://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69862.0

By pushing "MENU and +" I can get the screen back.

As in the original thread I see this happening more often when there's lots of MIDI activity on the DIN input - but I don't think it's related to screen updates on the preenfm3, because often the activity is for channels that are not configured for the preenfm3 - so it's not doing anything.  To me it's either electrical noise from the MIDI DIN in circuit, or perhaps some realtime midi messages?

Cheers,
Jared

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-built FM3 from Van-daal w/possible faulty screen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi,

Those screen are very sensitive. Some more than others.
The screen going white because the screen receives corrupted data due to electrical noise. So that's totally random and not a preenfm3 firmware problem.
When it goes back it's becayse a firmware background process detects dthat it oes not respond correctly and reinitialize it.
When it stays white but the sound engine is still working, it's because the screen keeps on saying everything is OK.

But with most preenfm3 that never occures.
I don't have this problem on any on my 4  developments preenfm3. And i let them running the internal sequencer with lots of screen activity for hours.

... but I don't think it's related to screen updates on the preenfm3, because often the activity is for channels that are not configured for the preenfm3

That's interesting. The screen can go white with midi activity on channels that does not correspond to any midi of the 6 pfm3 instruments ? So it does not trigger any screen activity ?

Do you have the screen going black with midi activity on USB ?