Author Topic: Can't find the Amp ADSR on PreenFM3  (Read 2393 times)

hreggi89

• Team member
    • View Profile
Can't find the Amp ADSR on PreenFM3
« on: December 18, 2022, 01:55:05 AM »
Hi!

I'm finally getting to know my preenfm3, everything seems to be working great except that I can't seem do find the ADSR for the VCA or the equivalent thing in FM synths. I don't have much experience with FM synths, mostly only analog ones, but I'm trying to make pad sounds and changing the Operator ADSR doesn't seem to be the way to do that.

Thanks,
Hreggviður.

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the Amp ADSR on PreenFM3
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »
It depends on the algorithm you chose. For example, for Algo 1, operator 1's envelope would be your traditional VCA envelope. However, the operator envelopes for operators 2 and 3 would just effectively change the modulation index of the respective operator.

So if you wanted to make a pad using algorithm 1, set op 1's attack and release to be slow with a reasonable amount of sustain and use the envelopes of operators 2 and 3 to change the amount of FM over time, for example, by setting them to somewhat different values than operator 1's envelope.

I suggest using the Preen FM editor, it makes this very visual and you can see a bunch of the parameter at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Xavier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the Amp ADSR on PreenFM3
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 11:51:57 AM »
Additional info:
For those who are new to FM, the carrier operators that actually produce sound are in cyan on the screen. Daker blue ones are modulator operators.
While modifying the enveloppe, you can hold down the menu button, and you'll modify all operators of the same kind (carrier or modulator) at the same time.
The values will turn green instead of yellow while you modify them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 07:20:24 PM by Xavier »