Author Topic: How to code on preenfm3?for add this implementations…  (Read 2672 times)

Agugonzalez87

• Team member
    • View Profile
How to code on preenfm3?for add this implementations…
« on: September 09, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »
Hi!

I would love to study/learn for be able to make some changes on preenfm3,  what I need to do for  start to do it by myself ?

Anyway, I’m going to write down what I would love to see on preenfm3 like this maybe someone also can do it.

I would love to add/change a parameter on the mixer screen

For me the scale mode it’s not super useful there.
On a live situation I’m on mix screen , I would love to create a perform menu and put it where is the scale menu like this I have on a really accesible place super near to the volume menu

I would love that on the perform screen I can adjust some parameters:
-position of the filter
-be able change at least adsr of the operator (with the adsr image display)
-also quick access on this menu for change the mixer file, like this you don’t need to do menu diving for change the sounds during the performance

Also I would love to add a third fx slot
The first fx I use for give character to the sound
Also de second (this I usually don’t move during a performance,, maybe becouse it’s to much menu diving)

So would be great to have a third one for can tweak on a live performance situation. And this parameter have the possibility to change on the performance option, also would be great to have a option for can use this filter/fx like it’s in the master or like it’s on a specific sound.

Preenfm3 it’s super compact synth, ideal for live performance knobing, and I think that would be great to implement more functions that invite to use on this way
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 01:09:57 PM by Agugonzalez87 »

Iapetus

• Team member
    • View Profile
Re: How to code on preenfm3?for add this implementations…
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 01:07:09 PM »
I can't help with your query but you have some good ideas here that would enhance what is already a fantastic instrument. Though I wouldn't want the scale mode being too far out of reach but it's not something like you say that's needed in a performance. Good luck anyway, hope you figure this stuff out.

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »
How to make code change on the preenfm 3 ?

1. git clone https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3.git
2. get stm32cubeide 1.5.1, newer version may cause troubles
available here : https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html
3. get a ST-Link V2, cheap version works well too
4. do some code
5. upload and debug from stm32cubeide
6. share worthy modifications :D

Agugonzalez87

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 04:45:44 PM »
 Thanks!

I just check last night all the points that u told me.
Even watch some hour duration tutorials about stm33cubeide
also check the code to see if I understand something

But obviously no  :D

I have really 0,5% of knowledge about coding
I start a few months ago to learn thru YouTube tutorials about processing

So, I don’t know if it’s too much to ask. But I would love to can learn how to make modifications on preenfm3, I have a lot of ideas for improve this machine on a live set situation, (btw yesterday preenfm3 was with me for the first time on a gig and was great, but I have a lot of ideas for add to preenfm3 on a live context)

So I would love if someone can add me some links of tutorials or books, for learn how to do it, I know that can be long but I would love to learn step by step on how to make this incredible machine more incredible

So knowing that I don’t know nothing where I should start?

Toltekradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 07:43:12 PM »
if you're not very familiar with code, take your time, read a lot the code before doing anything, as one must understand the logic of the architecture before anything.

Main code is in this directory :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/tree/master/firmware/Src/synth

it contains nearly everything relative to dsp code : oscillators, envelopes, filters etc..

Things relative to display are mostly here :
https://github.com/Ixox/preenfm3/tree/master/firmware/Src/hardware

But if i understand your wish, the perf screen may be quite handy for you : it is linked to the 2 params of filter1 by default and 4 others knobs are assignable in the matrix.
And there is some room to add various screen in that performance section !
For example I can imagine a second perf page with global ADSR modification of the carriers, another one for modulators..

Agugonzalez87

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 11:24:17 PM »
Cool!
I already started to see some videos about dsp on octave, now I have a starting point, probably in a few weeks I would have some questions ;D

I don’t know if you can recommend some tutorials, starting tutorials that u can add here or in other post, I think would be great for me or for other persons that are interested to start this journey.

Yep, I remember of seen this menu of performance, I don’t have open the preenfm3 right now. But yes I think that would be lovely to have this menu  really near to the mix volume screen

For me when I’m live performing the volume levels are the main or basic screen that I have during the gig, like this  I adjust during the perform the levels, now I think that would be great  to click the knob on the mix volume level screen  and enter on a sub screen where u can see knobs 1 to 4 to adsr and 5 for the filter and knob 6 for move thru the different sounds that are loaded on the the mix .
Because I think that when u are on a performance the last think that u want it’s menu diving.
I would love to hear what think Xavier about that.

Other idea on this menu it’s to push a bottom for example the + and with the six knob have the function for scroll thru the mix list of presets. Until now this are important points in my opinion that would make easier and attractive the live performance

I think that be able to see improvements on the preenfm3 on the side of live performing would be great. Cuz already it’s super a device super optimal to be on live sets

Anyway I’m going to still seeing this tutorials on how to do a sine wave , so I guess it’s a long travel until I can make some adjust :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:27:18 PM by Agugonzalez87 »

matrix12x

• Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 01:48:52 AM »
@Agugonzalez87  Since you are starting from almost scratch knowledge wise, here are my suggestions:

For the most part it looks like you mainly want to make a menu that changes things that exist (filter freq, ADSR, etc). I would suggest taking a look at the screens for the parameters you like, and tinker with making a screen that combines those things. You don't need to learn DSP to do that. Start with east stuff like this first.

Once you get a hang of that, play with coding the 3rd FX slot.

Agugonzalez87

• Team member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 05:16:08 PM »
So I started to look the code , but yes I think it would take at least a month or two.
Anyway thanks!