The PreenFM2 brings the old FM synthesis in a small open-source modern DIY box
The Plexi case :
Today’s technology in a small box.
In addition to regular FM synth features you’ll get (firmware 2.01) :
- 4 independent instruments. Each of them has:
- Powerful arpeggiator (Mutable-Instruments opensource algorithm).
- 1 effect Slot (LP, HP, Bass boost, Band Pass, crusher)
- 1 gate effect
- 4 rapid access performance parameters
- The 4 instruments can be saved all at the same time in combo presets.
- Each instrument has its own modifiable midi channel. They can share the same for FAT quadruple timbres notes.
- Modifiable number of allocated voices… Between 1 and 14.
- 28 FM algorithms from 3 to 6 operators
- Up to 14 voices of polyphony (8 if you use 6 op algorithms). Each voices has:
- 7 low frequency modulators (3 LFOs, 2 enveloppes, 2 step sequencers).
- 12 rows matrix : 16 sources, 32 destination (LP, HP, gate, stereo, MI, attack…)
- Arpeggiator, LFOs and step sequencers synchronizable on external midi clock or internal clock.
- Operator features:
- 7 builtin waveforms + 6 user waveforms read from the usb drive.
- Stereo panning (at the carrier operator level)
- 8 envelope parameters per operator (DX7 like)
- Direct Scala scale file loading for microtonality. Up to 128 Scala scales selectable from the preenfm2.
- Modular Randomizer
- USB all the way
- Midi over USB
- USB drive: huge preset banks: 64*128 presets, 8*128 combos, 256*32 DX7 presets.
- The USB drive holds your preset banks, you scala scale files, your user waveform files.
- Easy firmware upload and flash.
- USB powered
- Comprehensive user interface and associated to a 4×20 characters display for easy preset edition
- Small, portable and easy to build (no SMD)
- Mac/Linux/Windows open-source preset Editor
Other features :
- Can import DX7 sysex banks (just put them on the usb stick)
- Glide possible for instrument(s) with number of voice set to 1
- Midi through Din5 or USB
- Can be powered by USB or 7.5V-9v 2.1mm DC IN
- Boots in 2 seconds
- Al very standard components
- 2 * double 12bits DAC (mcp4922) => 18 bits stereo output
- Single simple pot to control stereo volume
- Sample rate 38Khz (or 42Khz with overclocked firmware)
- Custom bootloader with 3 ways to upgrade firwmare: Usb stick, sysex through Din5 or DFU.